weird rear wiper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > weird rear wiper

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
jcrowley
1997 XJ Cherokee 

weird rear wiper

okay, so today out of the blue, whenever i depress the brake pedal, the rear wiper just comes on. it will even wipe intermittantly if i am at a stop light and keep my foot on the brake. otherwise, while i'm driving, it behaves normally.

the switch is turned off.

so, before i tear into it tomorrow, i wanted to know if anyone has seen this one, or have any constructive ideas about where to begin...under dash, etc.

it's a 97 sport, AT, I6

gracias.

Unread 02-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Id check for broken and or pinched wires in the harness going from the keep into the tail gate. Check in the rubber boot.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
jcrowley
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yep, i did a quick 5minute check in the dark with a flashlight, and didn't "see" anything obvious.....sorry for the pun.

i replaced the switch at the dash about a year ago. it would only work in the "wash mode" but not in intermittent. so, i dunno.

thanks for the advice. hopefully i'll post some results if i figure it out.

jc
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have you had the kick panel or sill plates off lately? Run any wires? May have pinched the wiring when putting it back together. I work on cars every day i figure stuff like this out all the time but this is a new one for me lol.
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #5
jcrowley
1997 XJ Cherokee 

nope, nothing of the sort really. i just got my dogs out of the back, closed the hatch, and on the ride to work i noticed the wiper moving every time i pressed the brake. it all just happened today.

i'll find out more tomorrow, or the day after i'm sure. it's just weird that it's happening as i press the brake even with the wiper switch off. it's getting power somehow.
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yea thats why i said check the wiring between the jeep and the hatch focus on the wiring in the rubber boot. Id be willing to put $ of the fact thats where your problem is. Kinda funny actually lol Here's a thought, turn your rear wiper on and see if your break lights come on.
Unread 02-03-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
LilRedDakota
1999 XJ Cherokee 

bad ground for brake lights back feeding through rear wiper motor? don't have schematic to figure it out
LilRedDakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

I am betting the issue is that the wire that feeds the high mounted center stoplight is cross-feeding to the power wire to the wiper motor. Of course, for that to happen, both wires must be broken, or at least have the insulation off of them where they are adjacent to each other in the wiring harness. The area where the harness passes through the hatch hinge line is the likely area for this issue.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #9
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

haha I've never heard of that before. I bet it gets annoying though. I agree with the post above about the insulation wearing off and the two wires contacting each other.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
dameono4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i had something kinda similar happen to me... everytime i hit the brakes the entire dash would short out, speedo, tach, radio, everything. It ended up being a wire in the rear of the jeep almost in between the speakers in the headliner. just an idea.

hope it helps, chris
Unread 02-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

So whats the verdict, you figure out your problem?
Unread 02-06-2009, 04:18 AM   #12
jcrowley
1997 XJ Cherokee 

no verdict yet. i pulled the rear hatch panel and unplugged the wiper motor for now. i got put on some overtime at work, so it looks like a saturday job now.

thank you all for the suggestions.
Unread 12-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #13
mbat11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have a 97 xj with the exact same problem. So I took out the fuse (number 22) for the rear wiper and now the wiper stays put but every time I put on the brakes the rear washer fluid pumps out. You go through a jug in a day. Too bad the original author of this post did not circle back and post the verdict. I will check the wires for insulation at the tailgate.
mbat11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.