Weird P0432 and Borla 140071 question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Weird P0432 and Borla 140071 question.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-07-2016, 07:42 AM   #1
Ralph77

Weird P0432 and Borla 140071 question.

So I was having a P0432 CEL. Ruled out everything I could think of. Was going to replace the cat. Which kinda worked out because I need a new muffler and tailpipe anyway and just figured replace it all. Was leaning towards either stock or the Borla for the muffler and tailpipe. Stock for everything else. While under the Jeep about a month ago noticed that one of my rear exhaust manifold bolts was about a 1/4" out. Had already ruled out an exhaust leak as a possible reason for the P0432. Or so I thought. Got under there and re-torqued everything best I could. Flashed the ECM. Cat monitor cleared in a 166 miles or less and have driven it another 500 miles since then. No CEL. My question is does anybody think the cold weather could actually make the P0432 not come back. I am not usually this lucky. Ya know, expect the worst but hope for the best. I know this sounds stupid but it popped into my head. Reason I ask is I can get a good deal on the Borla 140071 and wonder if I should hold off. Just being easier to replace the entire exhaust at the same time should the cold weather be doing this. Also would appreciate any advice or insight on the Borla in case I decide to pull the trigger.

Ralph77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What year/engine/transmission ? How many miles on the cat converter, and how many miles on the O2 sensors ? Have you tested the O2 sensor function or viewed the live data ? Is the exhaust manifold cracked like most Cherokees ? The cat converter and the O2 sensors have a normal service life of about 100-150,000 miles. I think Borla is overpriced, but it is good stuff.

P0432 JEEP - Catalytic 2/1 Efficiency

Possible causes

- Warm Up Three Way Catalytic converter deterioration or malfunction
- Exhaust system leaks
- Loose front or rear O2 sensor
- Faulty front heater O2 sensor
- O2 sensors harness is open or shorted
- O2 sensors poor electrical connection

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Ralph77

'00 CA Emissions, 4.0, automatic. About 154K. It was a minor fixer upper I bought almost 3 years ago. Stock. Neglected but not abused. Had the usual Jeep issues, by the way thanks to the forum for helping me straighten them out, that you read about. When I fixed most things decided to see if I could improve the gas mileage. Swapped out all 4 O2 sensors thinking they were original and had about 152K on them. Upgraded to 4 hole injectors and while I was there did the valve cover gasket, cleaned the throttle body and the IAC. No CEL before I did any of this. Then the P0432 came about. I have the 2 piece exhaust manifolds and think they are OK. Viewed the live data of the new O2 sensors and appeared to be OK. Would not be the first time a new part was defective out of the box though. Viewed live data of the fuel trims and they seemed within reason too. No exhaust leaks either that I could find. Was thinking the cat and then I discovered the one rear exhaust manifold bolt. Fixed it like I stated above and it has not come back.Yea the Borla is pricey but I can score one, probably just for a limited time, for $370 with free shipping. And I am not going to lie I kinda want it.
Ralph77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.