weird noise after rear main seal fix - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > weird noise after rear main seal fix

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
LITJGuy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

weird noise after rear main seal fix

So i did my new seal the other day and it was my first time doing this. I followed some writeups and pretty sure i did everything i needed to do perfectly. Now i get a weird hissing noise from the general area of the rear cap i took off to do the seal. Is it possible that i put the cap on backwards, can you even do that?? Other then the noise it drives and runs perfectly fine

Unread 06-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
LITJGuy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

bump bump
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

You cannot put the cap on backwards, since the two halves of the seat mate across the parting line of the journal.

HOWEVER, you CAN possibly bend the dust shield on the bottom of the bellhousing, and that might make a light scraping sound that could sound like a hiss.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
LITJGuy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yup thats exactly what it was, thank you!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.