Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineForever Wave Flags at JeepHutRubicon Express lift kits w/shocks are on sale!

Unread 10-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Weird lighting problem after switching to LEDs

I've recently switched all of my lighting over to LED(with the exception of headlights). I have the LED flasher relay so hyper flashing isn't the problem. My problem is when I hit my brakes(no lights on) the dash and front parking lights light up a little. With my parking/headlights on, the turn signal indicators on my dash light up, maybe 50% power, they flash dark and full power when I hit my turn signals/hazards. I also have "switch back" LEDs in the front, the way they are supposed to work is: they are white as a parking/marker light, hit the turn signal and they flash amber, then switch back to white when the turn signal turn off. They don't do that. Most of the time they stay amber, unless I just have my parking lights on, then they are white. But most of the time, once I switch my headlights or fog lights on, they switch to amber. Driving around at night, sometimes they do switch back to white, so I have one white, one amber, driving down the road, and eventually they seem to switch to amber. So, basically the switch back bulbs work the way they are supposed to about 50% of the time.

I've tried regular LED bulbs in the front, but the low/high function was very minimal, and almost not visible, at least with the switch back bulbs it flashes on/off.

Any suggestions as to fixes? I tried the load equalizers before, it just made the stock flasher buzz if I had the parking lights on.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
***** inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2015, 04:23 PM   #2
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had assumed that there was a possibility that cheap eBay brake lights may be bleeding through to the rest of the system, so a couple days ago I bought a higher quality LED, I've since decided the rear is not the problem. The day after changing them over, when I switch the headlights on, the front turn signals don't flash at all, the side markers do, but not the turn signal. Someone suggested the in-line load equalizers, so I pulled the tail light wiring harnesses to wire in them in. With both harnesses pulled I checked the lights and it made no changes. So I swapped in a couple older regular amber led bulbs, still no change.

So now I'm left looking for where the wiring for the brake lights, and the parking lights intersect. I replaced the flasher and that didn't change anything, so I'm guessing brake light switch? Turn signal switch? Another relay?

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 10-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #3
chris87xj
JF Admin

1987 XJ Cherokee 

The brake and parking lights positive feeds shouldn't intersect. They do share a common ground and if it were bad, some back feed could occur.
A trailer wiring adapter could also introduce cross-feeding.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Bad ground is likely.
Unread 10-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
The brake and parking lights positive feeds shouldn't intersect. They do share a common ground and if it were bad, some back feed could occur.
A trailer wiring adapter could also introduce cross-feeding.
Thanks Chris, that's the most helpful information I've been able to get yet. I just re-did and cleaned up the wiring to the rear lights, so the rear is good. I've been meaning to go back and clean up the wiring on the front clip, from when I intergraded the headlight harness upgrade, so it will give me a chance to re-check them.

Quote:
***** inches...
Unread 10-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

First off, did everything work before you made the switch? When dash lights come on with the brake lights, it usually indicates a bad ground, usually in the taillights. The ground gets bad and the current finds the past of least resistance and lights the dash lights. (Short answer to a quite possibly very involved explanation). Sooooooooooooooooo if everything worked before the switch, you either manipulated something that didn't want to be manipulated or LED's are far more sensitive to voltage issues than incandescents and the problem is just now becoming apparent. At any rate the solution for either is the same. Start at the battery, remove the Black cable clean to shiny bright, then remove the Red cable and do the same. Next follow the Black cable and remove the connection to the frame, clean to shiny bright and reinstall. (You can get various sizes of SS star lock washers at the Orange store. If you install these at each connection they will outlive the Jeep). Now re-install the Red Cable and the Black Cable. Do it in this order, this eliminates the possibility of the wrench slipping when you connect the Red Cable with the resulting flash. While you're under the hood, look for a braided wire near the center of the firewall, remove each end, clean to shiny bright and re-install. Next go to the Tail lights and remove each one and clean the ground(s) you know the rest. This should have solved the problem. Next week end do the same to the Head light, and front and side marker lights.
Let us Know
Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #7
RockRodHooligan
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So I've went through the rear wiring, and all of the connections are solid, but I'm starting to question the brake lights themselves. Because I did the reverse lights in the hatch, and I'm using Wagoneer lenses, I moved the turn signal lights to the clear lense that was the reverse light, I added a second brake light bulb to take the place of the empty spot that was the turn signal. I had been running three brake lights, but I started having problems with one of the bulbs on each side, they would all light up with the running lights, but one of them wouldn't light up when I hit the brakes? So I clipped the third pigtail and shrugged it off.

Front turn signals still don't flash when the parking lights are on, but the flash-back LEDs are working the way they are supposed to? It stays white with the parking lights, and turns amber when I hit the turn signal(doesn't flash though), turn signal turns off, and it switches back to white. I didn't actually do anything to it, it just kinda started working since I've been back from Vegas. I don't know if it's connected to the flash-backs working all of a sudden, or if it's because I cleaned up the ground connection on the fender tonight, but the front turn signals do flash with the hazards now.

I'm guessing that the front turn signals, and the dash lights coming on when I hit the brakes aren't entirely connected. Maybe the turn signal switch is causing the problem in the front?
image.jpg  

Quote:
***** inches...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.