Weird hub Bearing problem 99 Cherokee Classic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Weird hub Bearing problem 99 Cherokee Classic

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-13-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
swkfilms
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Weird hub Bearing problem 99 Cherokee Classic

So I recently bought a jeep in Oct. and it made it through the winter GREAT and now that spring is here I decided to get it tuned up since I got absolutely no previous history on the vehicle even though I bought it from a dealer.

So long story short, I take my Jeep to Firestone to get new brakes and an alignment. They call me a few hours later and say I need rotors. So I say ok do it. So then they call alittle while later and say they are having problems getting the rotors on because the passenger side hub isn't a cherokee hub its a wrangler or something else and it sticks out about 1/2in too far. So im like WTF? what are my options? They tell me my ONLY option is to put on a new hub and bearing at $300. so a simple $200 brakes and alignment is now at $700 plus.

Anybody have an advice on this situation? Been in a similar one? Should I try to get the money for the bearing/hub from the dealer even though I bought the truck AS IS?

swkfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
ewwlookatme

I have a lifetime alignment at firestone and the second time i took it there they told me they wouldnt do it because i needed to replace the front left and right hub bearings for 300 each side. I went ahead and replaced both sides for 200 bucks by myself and took it back without problems. Extremely easy to do.
ewwlookatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Steamer98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Your 99 uses composite rotors, and matching hubs. Doesnt mean older hubs/rotors dont fit, they just have to match. Sounds like the PO put an older style(pre 99) on one side, not a big deal but a pain figuring out what you need when you go to replace it.
$300 is a bit steep, the hub is around $125. You could consider an older style rotor for the hub in question at around $40.
Both hubs and rotors are a fairly easy job if you want to save some cash.

Stock XJ tire carrier for sale
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424930
Steamer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Only the passenger side hub is that way? What about the driver's side hub?

At the bottom of this page shows you the difference in the hubs: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHubReplacement.htm
SilverXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
swkfilms
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah i know I probably should be doing projects like this myself but just havent had time or really the skills yet. Im a little mechanically inclined but its more electrical. I have found a family friend that will help me with future work so I will be learning myself. I just figured pads since it needed the alignment and I knew I couldnt do that on my own. next pad job will be my own as I plan on owning this truck for a while.

Thanks for all the quick replys everyone.
swkfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
x99j

tell them to get the right rotors! 99 was changed mid year from composite rotors to cast totors. their is a 3/16 difference between the two. and no your hub is not the problem! it is the shop that is the problem! even autozone lists two different rotors and hubs for 99.

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 01:17 PM   #7
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Do it yourself. It's easy.
What you need:
New Hub $120 or so... get it at your local NAPA or whatever
Gear puller $15 at harbor freight
Big *** socket set (I think it's a 1.5" nut) $30 at Menards, might also have em at Harbor Freight

I did it myself in about 20min, without having any clue what I was doing.

Also, those rotors are about $25 each and unbelievably easy to do yourself. Take the wheel off, then the caliper and the rotor practically falls off.
CharlieMopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
JeepJinx

---deleted---

Last edited by JeepJinx; 04-13-2008 at 08:40 PM..
JeepJinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
HeepToJeep
1982 CJ8 

Hubs are $88 at rockauto.com and you can also buy the bearings and seals to rebuild them yourself. I don't trust shops so I'd never allow a tire shop to make repairs on my vehicle.....to me it's like having your proctologist treat you for a sore throat. As for skill level, here's how I learned to fix things....I'd ask someone to diagnose my problem then I'd buy the needed part and remove the old one w/ the use of a repair manual and install the new one. It's not like working for the bomb squad, all you need is good reading comprehension and tools.

Wm
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

Check out this site, two hubs shipped for $140. Dangit, I wish I'd found that when I bought the AutoZoner for 145 for one.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/wheel-beari.../Jeep/Cherokee

The replacement as these guys have said is fairly easy.
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, his problem isn't with the hubs. They just tried to install the wrong rotors on the Jeep. Thats it. no need to get new hubs, just the correct rotors.

Besides, what the heck would one do with a gear puller when changing hubs?
Unread 04-14-2008, 11:50 AM   #12
CharlieMopps
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverXJ View Post
Ok, his problem isn't with the hubs. They just tried to install the wrong rotors on the Jeep. Thats it. no need to get new hubs, just the correct rotors.

Besides, what the heck would one do with a gear puller when changing hubs?
It's the only thing that would get my hub off... Not sure if it was bound because it went bad... or if they are always bound up like that.
CharlieMopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 12:00 PM   #13
turpehar
Web Weiner

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMopps View Post
It's the only thing that would get my hub off... Not sure if it was bound because it went bad... or if they are always bound up like that.
Usually the one that is in dire need of replacement will be most difficult, or the easiest to get off. Yea, that sounds wierd but I've replaced a few of these and there is no rhyme or reason as to why one falls off and the other you can't pound out. I once had the outer section pull completely out of the inner section using a gear puller, ball bearings and all. That was kind of scary considering there was no sign of a problem until three days before replacement. It just started grinding out of the blue. I know this thread was hijacked, so sorry, just trying to help out.
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #14
SilverXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Back the bolts out a bit, put a socket you aren't too attached to on them and hammer them. Also, there is a technique of backing one of the bolts out and turning the wheel so that it uses a suspension part to push it out.. but I never tried that.

But if it needs replacement don't be afraid to whale on it with a bfh.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.