weak brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > weak brakes

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 08-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
Rossman123
1993 XJ Cherokee 

weak brakes

So in my 93 xj my brakes are very bad and barely stop me. Im running 35s right now and didnt know if they would just need upgraded a bit or if theres a problem somewhere? I recently changed the brakes all around and put a new wheel cylinder in the rear and have bled the brakes multiple times. What else could it be? And what things would be best to check first?

Unread 08-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Did you adjust the drum brakes with a brake spoon (or screwdriver[s])?? The star wheel on the adjuster needs to be adjusted all the way out until the wheel will just barely turn...and then backed off a turn or two.
Unread 08-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Pedal go to floor? Do they get hot after a hard stop? Could be anything from bad master cylinder or booster to bad brake pads or needing to upgrade. Give more info about what it does
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
Rossman123
1993 XJ Cherokee 

if i put the brake to the floor it barely stops me and if i ride them for very long at all like crawling down a hill or anything they get hot and barely work at all then. Doesnt take long at all for them to get hot.
Unread 08-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

If goes to floor could be master cylinder, make sure rear brakes are adjusted as well
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

With stock brakes and 35's, you should expect poor brake performance. You need top quality high performance brake pads and rotors, or a brake upgrade such as a WJ Grand Cherokee front disk brake swap, or rear disk brakes.

Google Black Magic brakes, and EBC brake pads.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Do the WJ booster upgrade and makes sure your rear shoes are adjusted properly.

The brake pads Tim recommends are great also.

The booster upgrade is HUGE.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #8
Muddy97Cherokee

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Should expect this with 35's and stock brakes although it does seem you have a weak point somewhere. Even so if you want to upgrade your brakes I suggest the WJ knuckle swap for better steering and brakes. Along with that ZJ or KJ rear disk swap. My buddy is capable to lock up his 35's and able to stop on a dime with that set up.
But to start out with I would check your booster and master cylinder. If they check out then I would seriously recommend you look into the WJ swap.
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.