Water Pump Pulley Seized - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Water Pump Pulley Seized

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Water Pump Pulley Seized

This morning I discovered my water pump pulley is seized. I whacked it a few times with a rubber mallet, and then with a standard hammer. I started it back up and it ran fine for a few seconds, then it got stuck again.

I'm pissed because at this point I don't have the time nor desire to work on my rig all day (I do have the tools and knowledge however). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get the pulley un-stuck so I could at least attempt to make it to my mechanics.

Thanks guys .

The Daily Driver
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi V8, 545RFE 5 Speed Auto, NP241, Chrysler 8.0/Chrysler 9.25, 10mpg
MBJR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Do you have tow hooks on the front?
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #3
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Do you have tow hooks on the front?
Nope .

The Daily Driver
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi V8, 545RFE 5 Speed Auto, NP241, Chrysler 8.0/Chrysler 9.25, 10mpg
Unread 09-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJR9 View Post
This morning I discovered my water pump pulley is seized. I whacked it a few times with a rubber mallet, and then with a standard hammer. I started it back up and it ran fine for a few seconds, then it got stuck again.

I'm pissed because at this point I don't have the time nor desire to work on my rig all day (I do have the tools and knowledge however). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to get the pulley un-stuck so I could at least attempt to make it to my mechanics.

Thanks guys .
Trying to run the engine with a stuck pulley is going to trash the belt, and maybe other stuff too.

Either suck it up and fix it yourself, or pay for a tow....
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
Trying to run the engine with a stuck pulley is going to trash the belt, and maybe other stuff too.

Either suck it up and fix it yourself, or pay for a tow....
I realize that, that's why I asked if anyone had any ideas for freeing the pulley/pump. I'm not stupid enough to try and drive 4 miles with a stuck pulley, not to mention a water pump which isn't circulating coolant.

What's the usual rate for a tow? $60 hook-up and $3/mi?

The Daily Driver
Unread 09-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
coppertop71

1990 XJ Cherokee 

If you know someone with a truck and a hitch rent a tow dolly or car hauler from U-haul, rates run about $39 for a dolly to about $49 a day for a car hauler.
I rented a dolly once but only had a van to haul it since it was only a few miles I told them I was towing Honda Civic other wise it wont be a compatible match for towing and they wont rent it to you.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, 4.0 4:11 gears

'90 Cherokee XJ,W/'91 4.0L reman/ 3.5" RE lift, W/31" M/S tires, 4:11 Gears W/Speedo gear change/ Aluminum Coolant Tank
A/C Conversion/Home Built Roof Rack/K&N Box Filter
Derale 15" Rigid Radiator Fan PT# DER-17415, through Summit W/2"X5/8X5/8"" spacer

Jeep Pic's
coppertop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
UNCC_99XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I see in your sig that you DD a 5.7L HEMI Ram......got a hitch on the back of it?

If so, grab a uhaul dolley like mentioned, hook it up to the back of the truck and tow it on down the road to the shop.

99 XJ, 4.0, AW4, NP242, JCR Stage 2 Front, 3.5" RE Super Ride, RE H&T SYE, 31x10.50 BFG A/T's, JKS Trac bar, a few lights.....my never ending money pit
UNCC_99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
AngryBassets

A water pump is at the MOST a 3 hour job, if you have no idea what you are doing AND screwing off. Belt off, two hoses, few bolts off, done.
AngryBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJR9 View Post
What's the usual rate for a tow? $60 hook-up and $3/mi?
Another option might be to hire a mechanic to make a house call. That might be cheaper than a tow truck, especially if it's an after work, off-the-clock arrangement.
Unread 09-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppertop71 View Post
If you know someone with a truck and a hitch rent a tow dolly or car hauler from U-haul, rates run about $39 for a dolly to about $49 a day for a car hauler.
I rented a dolly once but only had a van to haul it since it was only a few miles I told them I was towing Honda Civic other wise it wont be a compatible match for towing and they wont rent it to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCC_99XJ View Post
I see in your sig that you DD a 5.7L HEMI Ram......got a hitch on the back of it?

If so, grab a uhaul dolley like mentioned, hook it up to the back of the truck and tow it on down the road to the shop.
Yep, I do have an '04 Hemi with a hitch. That is something that crossed my mind. Do they include tie-down straps in the $49 price? I can't seem to locate any of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBassets View Post
A water pump is at the MOST a 3 hour job, if you have no idea what you are doing AND screwing off. Belt off, two hoses, few bolts off, done.
Ya, 3 hours I didn't have time for. I've changed a water pump before but I'm SURE this damn thing would fight me tooth and nail. Everything I've done to this so far has been a PITA.

The Daily Driver
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #11
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I thihnk you can't have it both ways. Power steering pump locked up is a good reason to take off the pump or have a tow. The other option is to remove the belt, drive the few miles to the mechanic and let them do thier work. Not to many options if you don't have the time to do it yourself.
Unread 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #12
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbeebe View Post
I thihnk you can't have it both ways. Power steering pump locked up is a good reason to take off the pump or have a tow.
Speaking of having it both ways, where did the locked up power steering pump come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbeebe View Post
The other option is to remove the belt, drive the few miles to the mechanic and let them do thier work.
That could be an incredibly expensive option. Unless the trip is broken into several segments with lots of time for cooldown between each segment.

I had a belt break once about one mile into a drive. I had to drive another 1/4 mile to get safely off the road. By that time, the temp gauge was pegged to the hot side. Things ger hot fast when the coolant stops circulating.
Unread 09-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #13
murrayman23
1987 XJ Cherokee 

you know....water pumps really arnt too hard to do. I did mine when i first got my XJ...it seized up....it wasnt hard at all.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Blue"] [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="White"]"Rusty"[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] 1987 Jeep Cherokee XJ. 4.0L. 4X4. NP242. 3.5" RE superflex kit. RE Twin Tube Shocks. Rancho RS5000 Steering Stabilizer. Cragar soft 8's. 31" BFGoodrich A/T KO. Warrior Products Rock Crawler Bumper. Cobra CB. Firestik Firefly antenna. KC Daylighters.[COLOR="Black"]Half Herculined[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Half Navy blue[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
murrayman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
Speaking of having it both ways, where did the locked up power steering pump come from?

That could be an incredibly expensive option. Unless the trip is broken into several segments with lots of time for cooldown between each segment.

I had a belt break once about one mile into a drive. I had to drive another 1/4 mile to get safely off the road. By that time, the temp gauge was pegged to the hot side. Things ger hot fast when the coolant stops circulating.
Power steering works like a champ .

The thought of removing the belt did cross my mind, then I realized how dumb that'd be. Driving w/o a fan might be do-able, driving w/o coolant circulation, no so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayman23 View Post
you know....water pumps really arnt too hard to do. I did mine when i first got my XJ...it seized up....it wasnt hard at all.
Yep, I know. I've done the job a couple times before, I just don't have the time to do it now. School started (hrs of homework), I work in the afternoons, and I've got a few things going on the side. 3-4hrs is something I don't have at this point.

Also, just in case anybody is wondering, I had it towed over there this morning and just picked it up. My mechanic said it was once of the worst pumps he has seen, and I agreed. The impellers were digging into the case and the bearing was TOTALLY shot. $300 some odd dollars later, she runs like a champ.

The Daily Driver
Unread 09-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #15
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

$300 for an $18 pump--wow! We just changed mine in the driveway--took right around two hours with my crappy tools.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.