water pump part - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > water pump part

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
jeepjunkie408
2000 XJ Cherokee 

water pump part

I tried to search around.. but Im still stumped, if someone could help me out, I want to replace the metal arm that is attached to the water pump. What is it even called?

sorry, thanks so much...

ps. it's for a 2000 xj

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/support-jeepforum-equipment-drive-963790/[/url] <-- help out JF by purchasing a membership for yourself or someone else!!! :D
jeepjunkie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
DC4W-93XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

for the heater hose???
SEE THE BUILD HERE
DC4W-93XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
multmigs
2003 WJ 

I was thinking the same thing on mine, as I needed to do a water pump change on mine, but I took the pump off, the arm thing unscrewed no problem from it and then I hit it with a wire wheel for a few minutes and some spray bomb and it looks almost new...
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are you all taking about the water pump inlet tube that screws into the water pump? You can get it at rockauto.com for $7.64 before shipping (Dorman Part No. 56398). That is where I got mine, my original had paint peeling off and looked pretty rusty, so when I did my pump I ordered the Gates heater core hoses and and inlet tube off rockauto and got the water pump and thermostat from Advance. Thought I would just replace it all since it was nearly 10 years old and I was there anyway.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I'm about to do my water pump on my 1990 and am wondering WTH you guys are talking about. Anyone got a pic of this "arm"?
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #6
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What I'm talking about looks Like this:

Amazon.com: Dorman 56398 Water Pump Inlet Tube: Automotive
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:10 PM   #7
jeepjunkie408
2000 XJ Cherokee 

thanks guys! I was going that arm thing is exactly what part I was talking about!

I ended up calling the dealer and seeing if they had it, they were going to have to order it and it was going to be a week or so before it came in, so I decided to just paint mine... after I wade through the rust.. there was virtually NO paint on it and it's all rust.. but it seems pretty sturdy so I will just make due with it.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f6/support-jeepforum-equipment-drive-963790/[/url] <-- help out JF by purchasing a membership for yourself or someone else!!! :D
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

That is the feed for the heater core.

However, I don't suggest getting an "OEM Replacement" part - it's thin-gage mild steel. Fortunately, the threads are standard - 3/8" NPT.

1) Get a 3/8"x whatever brass pipe nipple at your local hardware store. 4-6" should serve. Cut off one end just beyond the threads and debur. Screw into water pump housing, apply some RTV black on the outside of the cut end, and slip the hose on (1/2" hose fits neatly over 3/8" pipe.) Allow at least 1-1/2" of overlap, put one clamp at least 1/4" from the bitter end of the hose, and the other should fit fully on the pipe with 1/4" between clamp bands.

2) I don't recall the length, but you can use a longer nipple (8-10"?) an elbow, and a shorter nipple (cut the threads off of one end) and eliminate the right-angle moulded hose - which saves you a few bucks on service. Use brass. Why brass? It won't corrode anywhere near as badly on you.

3) Not for the faint of heart, but you can go "whole hawg" and eliminate most of the heater hoses from the outset - I did this. I know it can be done on RENIX, and it can probably be done on 1991-up rigs as well.

NB: I added a hose bibb on a T fitting (for backflushing) and a shutoff valve (to force reverse flow when backflushing.) You need do neither - but at least the hose bibb isn't a bad idea. It allows me to screw my garden hose directly to the thing, I have a 3/4" hose bibb gender changer attached to a shutoff valve in my toolbox for this use.

Sorry about the big pic, but it should get the design across. I don't have any notes on measurement, and I do plan to revise them anyhow.

Construction is 1/2" copper line and fittings, sweat-soldered together. 1/2" copper line also fits neatly into 5/8" heater hose, although the two ends with 3/4" hose will fit better onto 1/2" copper tube unions instead of the line proper. Same rules for attaching the hose stubs (for vibration) - allow at least 1-1/2" overfit, 1/4" between the bitter (cut) end of hose and the clamp band, 1/4" between clamp bands, and full seating of both clamps over metal tubing. Apply RTV black on outside of tubing before installing hose (a small bead will serve - it helps the seal, and keeps the hose from getting stuck on too badly.)

The extra caution in sealing is done because the copper tube (or brass pipe stubs) are not beaded to accept a hose, and the hose therefore needs a little extra help to seal.

Good luck! I did the setup pictured in something like a half-hour, but I'm used to working with copper and heat. Most people who are figuring it out on the fly would take 60-90 minutes, I think.

Make sure to debur all cut ends before assembling, particularly where rubber hose goes over metal line!
cuhtrhse.jpg  
Unread 10-13-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That setup will outlast your Jeep!! I've never in my life seen copper pipe used in lieu of rubber hoses on a vehicle.
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
jeepjunkie408
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yeah, kudos to the hard work!

Unread 10-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #11
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhall02 View Post
That setup will outlast your Jeep!! I've never in my life seen copper pipe used in lieu of rubber hoses on a vehicle.
Thanks - although it really wasn't that hard. I just got tired of buying all of those damned right-angle-moulded rubber hoses for $15-20 a pop.

I need to refine the measurements, and attack that funky elbow into the bottom of the football, and it will be good.
Unread 10-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
BrunoS

i'm sitting in awe of the plumbing work. dude, awesome. it will outlive all of us!
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.