WARNING: All 4.0 owners check your motor mount/block Bolts!!!! - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > WARNING: All 4.0 owners check your motor mount/block Bolts!!!!

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #121
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Welding ain't gonna work.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #122
optdoug
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Lol, well there goes the easy way out. I guess I'm stuck spending the day on my back drilling them out.
optdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #123
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Wear eye protection.

Unread 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #124
optdoug
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ya, Thanks! I might just take it to a shop and see what they will charge me. It would probably be a whole lot easier if it was up on a lift and you could stand under the motor. If they want 300 bucks or less I will go that route. At the rate I was going, I think it will take me a good 4 to 6 more hours just to get the bolts out.
optdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #125
wsmm

What are you using to get to the bolts on the driver's side

I managed to tighten the bolts on the passenger side using either a socket or wrench. My bolts had a 14mm head. However when it came to the driver's side I couldn't see anyway to get to the bolts with anything. I did have the Jeep on the ground and was not using ramps or jack stands. Would running it up on ramps or using jack stands make it easier to get to the bolts on the driver's side? Should I try from the top or under the Jeep to get to the three bolts? Wrenches or sockets?
Thanks,
Bill
wsmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2012, 04:49 AM   #126
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Bill, the heads are actually 9/16" but 14mm is real close. Just be SURE that the bolts are pulling down against the bracket and not bottoming out in the block first.

Unread 12-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #127
RockMonster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

reallllllyyyyy wish I found this thread earlier...
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #128
crawler22

All my bolts still there and tight but this is what my stockers look like. Should I go ahead and replace them and which ones do I replace them with.
Drive
image-3873482286.jpg

Pass
image-4220700377.jpg
crawler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #129
crawler22

Oops got pics switched, first pic is passenger and second is driver side
crawler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #130
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler22 View Post
Oops got pics switched, first pic is passenger and second is driver side
The ones you need to be concerned with are the ones attaching the bracket to the block.

Unread 11-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #131
rakkasan240b
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2003 Wrangler 4.0 and my bolts to the motor mount have broken twice. I don't do crazy off-roading. I mostly do the highway driving, and maybe once in a while go find a mud hole somewhere. On my way home from paying the bills sunday my drivers side bolts snapped again. Oh great joy!
Unread 12-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #132
Mealticket

chalk up another victim...my Dad inherited a '95 4 x 4 and drove it over 2 hours from UP IN THE 'STIX with sheared bolts. He mentioned that he thought it had a bad mount! After I couldn't install a fan shroud and new fan, then measured from the bottom of the radiator to the centerline of the hub that the fan bolts to, we realized something was very wrong. Dad then noticed that looking at the valve cover, the engine seemed tilted, so he got under and saw the 3 sheared bolts. 2 are sheared about flush (see pix) but one isn't but the threads don't look great; on that one, I believe the bolt broke further in. We will hit them with PB for a few days and see if the reverse drill thing works. We also have a welder friend coming to weld the upper driver door hinge so maybe he could get in there and weld a nut to the broken bolts...Brown Dog mount may be the solution here. Gotta smog it first,

Mealness[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Mealticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:20 AM   #133
Mealticket

Back on this, since access to the pass side mount area is poor, I'm wondering if the driver side mount could be taken off (with support under the pan) and the front part of engine shifted toward driver side? Perhaps the tranny mount probably would have to be loosened? Thanks,

Mealticket
Mealticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #134
xj-mike

Glad I found this thread when i did. Been looking at these but I have no freaking idea what to get, price aside. Halp? http://browndogindustries.com/cherok...-2000-40l.aspx

I also have a very loud popping noise that happens randomly but usually when i hit a decent sized bump. It sounds like its on the interior side of the firewall. i dont think it is in the engine bay but it could be and the noise is just THAT loud! Do y'all think it could be the mounts?
xj-mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 01:53 AM   #135
xj-mike

The engine doesnt jump though... But it may be at the beginning stages of being loose. Hmmm
xj-mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.