WARNING: All 4.0 owners check your motor mount/block Bolts!!!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > WARNING: All 4.0 owners check your motor mount/block Bolts!!!!

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!

Unread 10-12-2008, 01:07 AM   #46
mud-dog27

hope i dont gotta go through that shiat i just replace my motor mounts with some bombproof ones and mine were nice and tight mind you i did notice that i only had 2bolts on either side instead of the 3 that are sposed to be there but hell i figure ive gone this long with 2 per side so meh

89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit
My Jeep's Page
mud-dog27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #47
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So all bolts at 27 lbs

Has anyone else heard of getting a tiny bit shorter bolts? this is suppose to be better for some reason?
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #48
Thegonagle
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the warning. My '96 has over 220,000 miles. She's not my daily driver (that's a stick-shift Honda Accord that gets 35 MPG on the highway), but I've grown quite fond of her, and I wish to keep her running for awhile yet.
Thegonagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:15 AM   #49
loosenut
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Would it be possible to take one bolt out at a time and replace it with a better one? Seems like an easy way to change out the old bolts without having to support the engine and do a whole motor mount at once. If my thinking is wrong, let me know.
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #50
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by collkid View Post
So all bolts at 27 lbs

Has anyone else heard of getting a tiny bit shorter bolts? this is suppose to be better for some reason?
the only way they could be better is if he standard bolts for what ever reason cannot reach all the way in and are to long to seat tightly, shorter bolts have less friction to keep them in and have less old in general so there is no reason they would be better unless like i said the full lengths cannot tighten in fully

-matt
mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #51
mattathayde
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenut View Post
Would it be possible to take one bolt out at a time and replace it with a better one? Seems like an easy way to change out the old bolts without having to support the engine and do a whole motor mount at once. If my thinking is wrong, let me know.
2 posts cause i saw this posed after i did my other one

i dont think its going to be possible to do that with no support, you may be able to squeeze it in but the engine is so heavy that i bet the holes will not alight properly to get it back in (if you can even get the bolt out to start with if there is no support to get the weight off the mounts)

-matt
mattathayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #52
tc90xjcherokee
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJLI View Post
wash it.

they hold your motor up.
HAHAHA

Thats funny **** right thur
[CENTER][B]90 XJ Cherokee 236,000 miles, Still going strong/ New Red Re-Paint/ Rusty's TB Spacer/ AutoPal H4 Conversion/ Ford 19# Injectors from Five-O/ Every Sensor+ and the ECU Replaced/ Factory Power Windows,Door Locks,Tach Guage Cluster / 3" Rocky Road Outfitters Lift, 31" D**k Cepecs / Factory Tow Package, Spotless Cloth Interior, 20% Tint / CD/MP3/SD CARD/USB/iPod Deck with 1200W System, Cap, Obcon Comp. Series 1200 RMS Amp, Two 10" Visionik Subs, Sub-Zero Ported Box[/B][/CENTER]
tc90xjcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #53
collkid
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I thought that one was funny too.

I wonder if I should go Grade 8? some have some havent'...
Colorado Member #89
collkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #54
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

There have been other posts that claim the bolts are too long and bottom out in the holes instead of "clamping" the bracket properly. When I changed my pass side (2 broken), I did not observe this. The FSM calls out 2 different lengths for my 88. I did swap for Grade 8.

If the remaining bolts are tight, I don't see why you would not be able to swap them out one at a time. If the bolts spin out by hand once you have them loose, the new ones should line up fine.
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #55
BrunoS

7500 miles later. still running great, no cracks in weld; DD.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 06:49 AM   #56
NowMed
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Word to mother!
Motor mounts are dangerous!
If you break a motor mount your truck might bite the dust!
Then start to rust!
Then your girl will have to drive and then start to fuss!
Check your motor mounts, ITS A MUST!
NowMed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 02:41 AM   #57
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Nice NowMed. hahah Just bringing this back up because I do remember seeing my radiator fins crushed a little from the stock fan. Would this be a sign of the motor mounts going out? BTW I cant go out and check the motor mounts bc of where I am, so please no smart a$$ comments! lol The radiator is not completely damaged but it does have a large "ring" shown on the fins.
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 02:30 PM   #58
Buzzstrike
1996 XJ Cherokee 

+1 on the pass. side bolts.

That's what I found out what was bad when I bought my XJ (for 400.00 off of CL) it only had 1/2 gear.

Thought it was the eng mounts. When I went in to replace said mounts I found the rt hand side eng. cushion bracket seperated from the block.

All 3 bolts had failed and were remaining in the block. I was able to remove two of them and replaced all hardware with grade 5.

I still have one shank in the block but will be comming out soon because I now have the proper tooling (drill) to get the M/Fer out.

I now have 204K on it and I bought it with 201K back in the first week of March.

To cool.

Buzz

The rules of life.
1) Life is NOT fair.
2) Stupidity SHOULD be painfull.
3) Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Last edited by Buzzstrike; 04-12-2009 at 06:57 PM..
Buzzstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #59
Fox Fader
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I better check mine. Juuust to be certain.
Unread 04-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #60
BrunoS

short answer: yes, check bolts
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.