Want to tow with my XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Want to tow with my XJ

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Mudshack
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Want to tow with my XJ

I sold my truck, so I am not looking to put a U-haul hitch on my 1999 XJ Sport.

It currently sits with 2" spacers, adjustable front control arms. And the rear has a shackle lift. Question is.....my stock springs are beyond flat. They actually bend slightly past flat. Adding a hitch will ad weight. And not to mention the boat that I will be towing.

Would you buy a new set of stock springs? If so where from?

1999 Red XJ
Mudshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

No I would go with a heavier aftermarket spring and lose the longer shackle. But your talking to someone who has 3/4 ton dodge van rear leafs and homemade boomerang shackles. Check out my posts on it if your curious. I did it for half the price of new springs and it rides nice. A good shackle angle is everything.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

^ I agree with this.
Stock XJ leaf springs are soft and flexy for a soft ride and not designed for much real work. Maximum load rating is 500lbs. This includes passengers, gear, and hitch load. Ideal tongue weight for a trailer is 10-15% of total trailer weight. Extended shackles change the spring angle adding a torque factor that derates the spring load rating and causes early sag leading to failure.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Mudshack
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok.....so buy some stock length shackles and some skyjacker softride 2.5" springs. That sound about right?

1999 Red XJ
Mudshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #5
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I personally have no experience with skyjacker springs but anything seems to be better than stock XJ leafs. If it were mine I would go with rear shackle relocation brackets. Reason being if the springs you choose are to firm or to soft riding, you can correct that to your liking by changing the shackle angle. Keep in mind that if you use shackle relocators they add some height so choose your new springs accordingly.
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshack View Post
I sold my truck, so I am not looking to put a U-haul hitch on my 1999 XJ Sport.

It currently sits with 2" spacers, adjustable front control arms. And the rear has a shackle lift. Question is.....my stock springs are beyond flat. They actually bend slightly past flat. Adding a hitch will ad weight. And not to mention the boat that I will be towing.

Would you buy a new set of stock springs? If so where from?
I think you should buy a set of stock tow package springs used from someone who took them off to replace them with lift springs.

Within next two weeks I will be taking off stock tow package springs to replace with OME springs. My stock tow package springs have 36K miles on them. My XJ was previously owned by a sickly old man who left it in a garage for most of 14 years and seldom drove it. So these springs have done little or no towing and have only 36K miles on them.
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
94TwoDoor
1994 XJ Cherokee 

If you want to go the expensive fancy route, get a set of OEM replacement shackles, new bushings, and these:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_5056.htm
94TwoDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #8
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

OME 2" Heavy Duty leaf springs and go back to a stock size shackle or MJ shackles for an extra half inch in the rear to compensate. Without relocating the shackle mount you don't want to go over 1" or so on lift shackles because of the shackle angle and how much stress it puts on the leafs.

How heavy is the boat and trailer combined weight?
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I think you should buy a set of stock tow package springs used from someone who took them off to replace them with lift springs.

Within next two weeks I will be taking off stock tow package springs to replace with OME springs. My stock tow package springs have 36K miles on them. My XJ was previously owned by a sickly old man who left it in a garage for most of 14 years and seldom drove it. So these springs have done little or no towing and have only 36K miles on them.
Sorry Charley, Using any stock spring is a waste of time and money, especially if he's towing with it. Tow package or not, factory XJ leafs suck.
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
anony

OME HD constant load rear springs come with 4+1 leafs. The 5th spring is a smaller flat leaf used for constant loads. Designed primarily for people who normally carry additional gear and equipment for off-road & service work.

There are different types of helper springs used for towing. Some work better than others. Normally helper springs aren't going to do anything for lifting and overall suspension performance ... designed primarily for towing and adsorbing some of the tongue weight placed on the rear of the vehicle.

Last edited by anony; 07-14-2013 at 04:05 PM..
anony is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.