Voltage draw NORMAL? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Voltage draw NORMAL?

So, I installed guages about a month ago.

Now, Ive noticed whenever the blower motor/defrost is on the voltage dips down right around 12 volts, and stays there until I turn it off. Its usually right around 13.5 any other time.

No other accessory draws nearly as much on it. Even with the stereo, amp, headlights, and wipers on, Im still charging at a little over 12.5.

So, what's up? Is this normal? Or is it alternator time?....or worse yet, is there a weak circuit somewhere in the blower motor system?.....I dont like it.........

*Word of note. Battery is NOT going dead, nor are the lights dimming when I do this. It's just bothering me that the system is at nuetral charge status with the blower motor going.
Thanks.......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 08:11 AM
basso4735

1997 XJ Cherokee 

my voltage dips quite a bit when i have the blower on. i hope its normal haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Includes bastard pack and cheap 3" lift info

Red 97 XJ Sport 5 Speed - Lifted 3" - Sound system - C4X4 Tow Hooks - Hella 500s
Black 96 XJ Classic - Stocker on 31s - SOLD
post #3 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 08:18 AM
XJING

Could be a heck of a lot of resistance caused by a loose ground or rotting connections on the blower moter circuit. Electric fans use some amps though, my dual flex a lites eat 20 amps... so I notice a slight drop when they kick on. But in your case its either a worn moter or bad connerctions...Good Luck

Originally Posted by FleXJ the Kid
Yes, probably, I dont know. I could but sometimes it was difficult. Just get under there and try.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 10:15 AM
bee guz

blower motor

Blower motors usually run around 30 amps, to run them, thats a big draw, as long as it don't go below 12v and stay there your ok,

The volt guage only shows the condition of the battery, not the charging rate, for that you need an amp guage....
post #5 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 02:27 PM
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee guz
The volt guage only shows the condition of the battery, not the charging rate, for that you need an amp guage....
where might you get an automotive amp guage, and how would you hook it up to the alternator?

Design previews and mad kid pics on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-09-2007, 05:10 PM
madrabbitt

first half of that is answered by "ebay" ... only because i bought 5 of them off of ebay to install in ambulances.

second half of that depends on the alternator.

Installing HID's in stock housings is bad.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.