Vibrations - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Vibrations

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Reply
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Xanatos
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 114
Vibrations

Hey guys! I need a bit of help. I have a 1991 jeep cherokee and have been having vibrations at high speeds. I just got a front end alignment, tire rotation and balance. So Im pretty sure it's none of that.
What happens is about 60 mph there starts to be a vibration. The vibration is the same speed as the wheels, that's about all I know. The vibration shakes the whole jeep slightly. Not a death wobble shake, more like a small stop sign rumble strip. The vibration is really obvious by 65, but I can start feeling it slightly around 50 and builds up.
Any ideas on what this could be? Any suggestions would be nice! Thanks!

__________________
Live free. Stay wild.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Xanatos
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 114
Any help?
__________________
Live free. Stay wild.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,367
The alignment shop didn't mention any loose front end parts? It feels like the whole Jeep not mainly in the steering wheel? That would make me think driveshaft. Double check your U Joints. Sometimes they can look fine but be dried out and rusty.
__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen
 
Randonexplosion's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Cortez, Colorado
Posts: 4,367
Also, was it fine before the rotation and balance or was that an attempt to fix the problem?
__________________
5.3/4l60e swap

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
Xanatos
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
The alignment shop didn't mention any loose front end parts? It feels like the whole Jeep not mainly in the steering wheel? That would make me think driveshaft. Double check your U Joints. Sometimes they can look fine but be dried out and rusty.
No, they didn't. I jacked the front end up a few weeks ago and turned the steering wheel, everything looked fine and tight. The vibs are felt in the whole Jeep. And I'll try and check my driveshaft. I haven't tried taking them off at all, but I hit them just to make sure they weren't loose, they are not loose one bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post
Also, was it fine before the rotation and balance or was that an attempt to fix the problem?

I was trying to fix the problem by doing that, anyone who I ask won't really talk unless I've taken it to an alignment and balance. It has been doing this for over a year, well at least that's when I started really driving on the highway and noticed it. I've had the jeep for a year and half. I have had new tires since then, even that didn't change it.
__________________
Live free. Stay wild.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Xanatos
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 114
Sorry for how long it's taken me to get this done, but I finally had time to take my front driveshaft off. Only 8 bolts... but one freakin wouldn't come out, took me an hour to try and get it out before I just drilled it out. But anyways, taking the driveshaft off helped slightly. There isn't as much vibration leading up to 60 mph, but at 60 mph there is a very sharp and hard vibration. It doesn't vibrate as much after 60, but it's still there slightly. Oh, and also when I hit the brakes, it felt like the jeep was gonna fall apart it shook so bad. It doesn't shake at lower speeds when I hit the brakes as I would think a warped rotor would. Any ideas? I guess I'll try the rear driveshaft after I find a place to re-balance my front driveshaft.
__________________
Live free. Stay wild.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: , Southeast MI
Posts: 24,352
Moved to XJ Forum.

The Tires/Wheels Forum is for questions about tires/wheels that cover all models.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
XJaySC
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Charleston
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
Sorry for how long it's taken me to get this done, but I finally had time to take my front driveshaft off. Only 8 bolts... but one freakin wouldn't come out, took me an hour to try and get it out before I just drilled it out. But anyways, taking the driveshaft off helped slightly. There isn't as much vibration leading up to 60 mph, but at 60 mph there is a very sharp and hard vibration. It doesn't vibrate as much after 60, but it's still there slightly. Oh, and also when I hit the brakes, it felt like the jeep was gonna fall apart it shook so bad. It doesn't shake at lower speeds when I hit the brakes as I would think a warped rotor would. Any ideas? I guess I'll try the rear driveshaft after I find a place to re-balance my front driveshaft.
If you came into my shop and said just this I would assume something loose in the front end. It's wholly possible they didn't shake down the front end properly .

Also have you checked your tires for "cupping" ? If I tire is cupped bad enough it can give some unusual vibrations.
XJaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
dave564
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Monroe, mi
Posts: 199
HOLD ON, LETS GET SOME ANSWERS FIRST.

1. You had a rotation, and balance done, then things got worse. LOOK AT THE RIMS, DOES ONE HAVE A LOT OF TIRE WEIGHTS ON IT? If so, then that one IS bent and WILL cause this issue, especially if you are using an aggressive set of tires. All the balance and alignment in the world won't help.

2. This is a problem I run into with steer tires on the semis some times with certain brands of tires. Jack up the vehicle and spin the tire with some sort of index near the tread (a stick taped to the fender will do.) You are looking to see if one of your tires have broke a belt or is otherwise out of round. Again the suspect wheel will have a bunch of weight on it after a balance job.

After reading this thread, it screams to me a bent rim or tire problem. A well made tire on a true rim WILL NOT require any tire weights to balance. (I have only had 2 on my cars in 28 years.)

REMEMBER: A bad tire does not have to show bad wear to be bad...
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
dave564
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Monroe, mi
Posts: 199
I went back and now see that you changed the tires and still have the problem. NOW I WILL SAY it has got to be a bent rim...
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #11
irs009
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 138
Good call Dave. I had a bent wheel yesterday. No balancing in the world was going to stop that vibration.
irs009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 491
Since this is a '91, I'd look closely at the motor mounts and tranny mounts. Every used XJ that I've bought had bad motor/tranny mounts.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
Xanatos
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Hendersonville, NC
Posts: 114
Just got off of work and I thought I had noticed an unusual amount of weight on one wheel. Well, went to double check and a weight at least 6 inches long with another weight next to it about an inch long greeted me on one wheel. I don't quite remember there being so many weights before. So hopefully that will be the problem. I'll try and jack it up someday Sunday. I also have a full sized spare I might throw on there and test it out.
__________________
Live free. Stay wild.
Xanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 491
Do a search about the difference between static and dynamic balancing. I forget which is which but one is weights on the inner and outer sides of the wheel and the other is weights centered on the back of the wheel and often times is problematic and will cause vibrations. I think your on the right track by putting on your spare.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #15
sAe23
Registered User
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles / SFV, California
Posts: 2,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanatos View Post
Hey guys! I need a bit of help. I have a 1991 jeep cherokee and have been having vibrations at high speeds. I just got a front end alignment, tire rotation and balance. So Im pretty sure it's none of that.
What happens is about 60 mph there starts to be a vibration. The vibration is the same speed as the wheels, that's about all I know. The vibration shakes the whole jeep slightly. Not a death wobble shake, more like a small stop sign rumble strip. The vibration is really obvious by 65, but I can start feeling it slightly around 50 and builds up.
Any ideas on what this could be? Any suggestions would be nice! Thanks!
You didn't just install a lift kit, or otherwise modify the suspension, right?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.