Vibration Woes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Vibration Woes

ExtremeTerrain has Daystar Wrangler Parts!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-16-2012, 11:09 AM   #16
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the pinion angle *looks* good. Have you actually measured it to see where you are at?
And since you have a SYE, have you tried driving w/o the rear shaft to see what happens to the vibrations?
Have you had the drive shaft balance checked?
Have you examined the run out on the pinion and the transfer case?

sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
chinookgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Found the culprit. From the right angle you can't tell but the driver side engine dampener mount is obliterated. It's the stock mount and I'm thinking of getting the ironman 4x4 drop in mounts. Anyone have any others to recommend?
image-742482750.jpg  
l__|---\__l---[]IIIIII[]
[/COLOR]_()_)--o()_)--O-)_)
Rubicon Express 4", Pro comp soft 8's on Micky Thompson Baha ATZ 33's[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]"Shhh! ..... Did you hear that?!?" "Yea, I think something just fell off."[/COLOR][/FONT]
chinookgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #18
chinookgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty gnarly carnage. Got the new ones on though. Cut the vibes down about half and the tires go on this weekend.
image-2283687331.jpg  
l__|---\__l---[]IIIIII[]
Rubicon Express 4", Pro comp soft 8's on Micky Thompson Baha ATZ 33's[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]"Shhh! ..... Did you hear that?!?" "Yea, I think something just fell off."[/COLOR][/FONT]
Unread 08-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
chinookgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rotated all the tires, balanced, Alignments still good, but still vibration at 55+ mph. Jacked up the front axel today and found the front OEM driveshaft is extremely loose and wobbly at the junction. I'm taking it out tonight to see if the problem goes away. Wish me luck. I. It's toast prolly looking into getting a Tom woods or a tatton driveshaft upgrade, which one is better thAn the other?
l__|---\__l---[]IIIIII[]
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
chinookgod
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Pulled the front shaft, and took her for a spin. 0-90 mph with ZERO Vibration. The shiny shaft was gouged into by the splines in the shaft itself. Will be looking for a replacement, and I'll be in 2H for a while.
image-336862509.jpg  
l__|---\__l---[]IIIIII[]

Tags
99 , cherokee , vibes , vibration , xj

Suggested Threads
  • AC woes... - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (1 replies)
  • AC woes! - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (4 replies)
  • TPS woes... - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (3 replies)
  • XJ Woes - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (1 replies)
  • MPG woes - XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (5 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.