Vibration/shaking/rubbing under drivers seat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Vibration/shaking/rubbing under drivers seat?

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Vibration/shaking/rubbing under drivers seat?

For a couple months I've had a squeaking noise coming from the front wheels that would occur only when turning left/right and speed up/slow down as I did. It also only happened when driving forward and never when it was raining out. Well that turned into a sort of grinding last week so I figured it was time to replace my front axel u-joints.

However yesterday I started getting a weird vibration/rattling/thumping that I can actually feel through the floor boards. Its not down by the pedals but rather up where my none driving foot sits, roughly in line with the shifter/e-brake area. It occurs more often when going up hills and I can feel and hear it bounce around when I hit bumps in the roads. It reminds me of a fiberglass boat rubbing noise. When standing still with the transmission in park it makes no noise but as soon as I shift to park (still standing still) the noise and vibrations start. I can also feel it vibrating with the sound of my exhaust when I first pull away from stop signs or stop lights.

Is this all from the u-joints or could it be something else? I checked the track bar and everything seems to be tight. Not sure if its related but my front inner axel seals have been leaking pretty bad for awhile but I've been waiting to replace them with the u-joints.

BTW its a stock 96 XJ.

scott_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Inspect the control arm bushings and motor mounts.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Inspect the control arm bushings and motor mounts.
Just took a peek at the motor mounts and the ends of both sides of each mount look like below. I'm assuming the rubber is supposed to be a full circle rather than the cones I have on each side? Could that be causing my issue?

Unread 08-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What transmission mount should I go with? Just a stock OEM replacement like this one from 4wd hardware?

Transmission Mount by Crown Automotive and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware-RH1

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.