Very "special" Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Very "special" Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread Yesterday, 02:20 PM   #1
EmilyHardy

Very "special" Jeep

Not sure I'm putting this in the right place, as I am new. Apologies if it's not where it should be.

I have a very special Jeep. Well, to me anyway. Her name is Luna, after the Harry Potter character, because she's, um, quirky. She's a former mail truck from Arkansas, which means she has the right side drive. It also means her airbag is disabled, as is her horn. WAS her horn. That's just one of her little problems, and the one that brought me here.

For over a year I've owned this jeep, and not a peep from the horn. Till 2 days ago. Suddenly, when my girlfriend was driving it to work, she goes to pull out of the drive and the horn goes off. It went off on her at work too. Then nothing till she got home, and off again. Now she's really acting up. Her horn went off when I went to drop my girl at work, went off again as I went to leave, then again at some poor random dude at a stoplight, and again when I pulled into the Walmart.

What exactly is up with that, and how do I disable the horn completely? So far the only way to get it to stop is really bang on the steering wheel, but this is a problem. My girlfriend gets off work at 11pm. At a nursing home. I can't be pulling up and having the horn go off on it's own and wake everyone up. I'm not so hot with cars. Is this a simple fix I can do on my own? Little help for my quirky friend would be much appreciated. Thanks.

EmilyHardy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #2
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Remove the cover from the Junction Block (JB) in the passenger foot well and remove the Horn Relay (see diagram below).

This should take care of its problem.

EDIT: JB access:

Unread Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

While you are pulling the horn relay, inspect the fuse box for signs of water leakage.

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #4
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
While you are pulling the horn relay, inspect the fuse box for signs of water leakage.
And corrosion. Green stuff.
Unread Yesterday, 06:13 PM   #5
98XJClassic4976

1998 XJ Cherokee 

+1, +2 & +3... ^^^^ What they said...

Welcome to JEEPForum... Don't be afraid to post or ask questions... These guys/gals are great at helping!

Once I am done with this project... Who am I kidding? Jeeps are never done.
98XJClassic4976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 01:38 AM   #6
EmilyHardy

Thanks for the help. Um, we did get it fixed but not the way I would have preferred. I went to go pick up the kids from an after school event, and stopped at the pharmacy first. I go to pull in and the horn starts again. My girlfriend said I should it hit it? BAD idea. It wouldn't stop. I turn the Jeep off. Still it didn't stop. So I'm getting all frustrated when a woman in the parking lot tells me pop the hood. Thankfully her grandfather had owned a garage, and she picked up a few things. She disconnected the battery, and the thing finally shut up. She then did a quick look up in my manual and POOF, popped out the horn fuse and no more noise. Thank goodness! Basically, she did what CCKen told me but she had the skills lol. It won't start again now that the fuse is out right?
EmilyHardy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 06:16 AM   #7
FairlanePhil
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The horn won't work at all now.
FairlanePhil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.