Very poor mid to high rpm performance. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Very poor mid to high rpm performance.

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Hollyhood
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Very poor mid to high rpm performance.

I have a 96 cherokee inline 6. Ill start with the known issues. #1 transmission needs drained and filter needs replaced. recently on the highway its started shifting back n forth between drive and overdrive so im sure thats part of the problem. It also has a cracked header and possibly an exhaust leak. But now on the highway it will not go over 65mph. I held it to the floor for a few seconds and it wont budge over 3500rpms. It seems to still have decent pickup driving in town. Definetly not what it had before. I guess Im trying to figure out what the main part of the problem could be. Im on a bit of a budget and trying to fix one problem at a time. I just changed the oil and replaced the sparkplugs, wires and distributor cap and rotor. any help or advice would be great. thanks.

Hollyhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
dbgillilan
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Check out these forums to help with your transmission problems.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/s...-rpms-1180200/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/w...sensor-605430/

I replaced throttle position sensor for less than $40.
dbgillilan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor , performance , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.