Vehicle Security System(alarm) has taken over my 1997 Cherokee. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Vehicle Security System(alarm) has taken over my 1997 Cherokee.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Cotrain112

Vehicle Security System(alarm) has taken over my 1997 Cherokee.

First the dome light would not turn off. I check all door sensors and they mechanically function correctly. I woke up to find the battery dead, no big surprise, when I went to jump it I found out I have a very loud alarm system. I cut the wire to the siren to keep from waking my neighbors at 5am. The Jeep would still not start, light turned on when cables were hooked up but neither the starter or engine showed any signs of life. I put in a new battery and reattached the wire I cut to the siren.

This is where I am now. When I attach the battery the dome lights turn on and the siren sounds. I can not get the siren to turn off, the engine and the starter are still not responding, and the dome lights will not turn off.
With all doors locked when I connect the battery I have unlocked the door and attempted to start...alarm still sounds and engine is non-responsive. I have turned the key in the back door back and fourth (read it online), alarm still sounds engine is non-responsive.
I have remote entry's that have working battery's but do not work(red light does light up when I press a button).
Is there a fuse I could pull?
Can I just pull the entire stupid security system out?

I am no mechanic but this seems like a simple issue that I should be able to solve myself without dropping $100.

My objectives: Get siren to shut off when battery is attached.
Get engine to start. (I really hope I do not have bad starter)
Get dome lights to turn off.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Please Help!

Cotrain112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most aftermarket alarms have a Valet pushbutton switch to allow starting without a remote, and a toggle switch to disable the alarm system. It might be reasonable to assume that the alarm system is faulty.

The dome lamp issues may or may not be alarm related. Check the headlamp switch dome lamp function and check the door switches for short circuits or failure.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.