valve spring installed height and spring pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > valve spring installed height and spring pressure

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

valve spring installed height and spring pressure

I know, I know ...call me a PERFECTIONIST !
I'm setting up 4.0 heads for my Cherokee engine rebuild, want to shim the new stock springs to affect the same cam nose pressure on all 12 springs. Even though the springs are new, all new valve springs will vary slightly as a normal manufacturing thing.

Problem is, manual says "Valve closed height is 1.625 @ 66-74 *lbf* which is foot-pounds. The manual shows using a beam torque wrench on an old-fashioned lever-arm spring tester. For example: 66-74 ft-pounds of lever-arm pressure could actually translate into something like 100 pounds on a inline direct-pressure tester...depending on the length of that lever-arm as displayed in the manual!

Therefore, does anybody know the INLINE spring pressure that should be @ 1.625" installed height in valve-closed position? I have a platform-type inline spring tester with a gauge showing actual pounds of pressure, intended to be used in a bench vise.

Yes I realize most folks just install the springs as is and call it good, but I like a real smooth-running engine with even cam nose pressure all the way across the valves. Yes I realize coil bind is the MOST important issue (too much shim).

Last edited by michla; 07-23-2010 at 12:22 AM..
michla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I would say you're waisting your time on valve spring pressures. The biggest improvement to the 4.0 valve train would be installing "full roller" type rocker arms. The valve springs on a Jeep 4.0 have only a little more pressure than the spring in a click-type ball point pen. LOL As you have already mentioned, concentrate on spring height valve closed. Also, you can't beat doing a final valve polish/grind by hand. It takes time and effort to do this but even a 400 lb valve spring won't seal a valve that doesn't have a perfect sealing surface (face to seat). Make sure the block deck and head surface are dead flat and use the best head gasket you can find. Torque the head bolts in at least 4 passes. Pay close attention when setting the initial valve lash.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
michla
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for that good advice....I did find spring manufacturer specs for set-up online last night. LOL--you're so right about stock springs...the really don't last very long either (tension).

By the way, there is no lash adjust on these hydraulic tappets. Just using stock components--this is just a daily-driver/grocery-getter.
michla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
90si
1998 XJ Cherokee 

sbc springs and a change in rocker arm ratio smooths it out nice too ..even with a big cam
90si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michla View Post
..........By the way, there is no lash adjust on these hydraulic tappets.........
Yes, there is an initial rocker arm adjustment/setting for hydraulic lifters, check the manual for the correct procedure. No feeler/thickness gauge is used and seldom does a hydraulic lifter/valve train need additional adjustment but it's not unheard of. Mechanical lifter/valve trains need frequent checking/adjustment.....at least they do in a push-rod motor.
Unread 07-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90si View Post
sbc springs and a change in rocker arm ratio smooths it out nice too ..even with a big cam
Smooth and big cams usually don't go together and anyone will be well advised that they need to be really sharp/educated on valve train geometry when changing from stock...........that goes for any motor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.