valve cover gasket replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > valve cover gasket replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-18-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
mh89xj

valve cover gasket replacement

I just had a few questions about changing my valve cover gasket. I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to engine work. Is this something I can do myself? how long should it take? Once the valve cover is off, is it difficult to remove old gasket? is there anything i need to do to prevent crap from falling into engine? Is there any thing else I need to know before I start? i don't have a torque wrench. does autozone offer them as loaners?
I've read about some people changing there own, but couldn't find any detailed instructions. i have a Haynes manuel, but can't find anything in it about changing the valve cover gasket

thanks

Dana M30 Front Axle Dana M35 Rear Axle
3.55 Axle Ratio
BDS 3" lift w/ 31x10.50 Pro Comp MT's
mh89xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #2
twisted_ed

im sure somewhere in there theres a place that tells you how to change it.. but basically you need to remove any hoses comming out of it those are thebreather and ccv hoses if so equiped and then remove the bolts holding it down.. be carefull not to strip or break any bolts.. and trick can be to get the engine running temp so all the metal expands then loosen the bolts and remove them more easyer.. then pull the cover off. it may be a little stuck but tapping it with a rubber mallet will cure that... pop it off and cover the inner workings of the engine with a rag to make sure that -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= doesnt get on there then scrape the old gasket off and put a new one on. reverse the steps. you may have some gasket on the engine too that needs to be scraped off, just be carefull not to get any into the inner workings.
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
drag1320ft

just use blue stuff, no gasket required..... Valve covers are not usually torque specific because their only functionality is to keep oil in and dirt out. Just don't over tighten or you will strip the threads in the head.

"Be careful how you think; your life is shaped by your thoughts"
proverbs 4:23 (TEV)
drag1320ft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:22 PM   #4
mh89xj

thanks for the advice

went to advance today. bought fuel filter, valve cover gasket and a small tube of RTV. now I just have to wait for it to warm up. seems simple enough. i'll just take my time.

figures last week, when I was out of town, it was in the 60's. now that I'm back, it's in the teens!
Dana M30 Front Axle Dana M35 Rear Axle
3.55 Axle Ratio
BDS 3" lift w/ 31x10.50 Pro Comp MT's
mh89xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Altec88

make sure you seal it good, or it'll leak like my 2.5 did...
Altec88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2005, 06:04 PM   #6
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just a note: if your valve cover is warped, it will leak no matter how hard you try to seal it. Once you get it off, lay it on a flat surface & see whether it is warped.

A gasket scraper is very handy for getting the old RTV seal off. Scrapers are available at www.summitracing.com but I think they should be available at places like Autozone . . . maybe.

I replaced the RTV seal on mine TWICE & it still leaked (b/c I was impatient, didn't let it set up long enough, & then didn't let it dry long enough). So I finally had the mechanic do it. He used both a gasket of some kind as well as the RTV sealant. Now no leaks (well, I also had to have the oil filter housing re-sealed w/new O-rings, & had to have my rear main oil seal replaced, then I had no more leaks).

2WD '96 XJ Country 4.0 auto -- 134,000 miles
and... see my photography
xj-xile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.