Vacuum Reservoir - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Vacuum Reservoir

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #1
Finaltheorem47
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Vacuum Reservoir

What does the vacuum reservoir do? I removed it and plugged the line when I put a new bumper on because it wouldn't mount where it used to.

Finaltheorem47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

It conserves vacuum to run your cruise control and vent selection for the heat/air when you are at higher rpms and lose manifold vacuum. If your vents go to the defrost selection when at higer rpms, or your cruise control doesn't work anymore you can relocate it to the engine compartment.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
ehall
1991 XJ Cherokee 

It essentially stores vacuum so that there is always some available to drive the accessories on that line (AC vent control, heater control valve, and cruise control). Think about the way engines work here--pistons create vacuum when they suck air through the intake manifold. Usually this air comes in through the throttle body. However when the throttle blades are closed the engine is not able to suck in as much air, and the vacuum pressure in the manifold goes up. Conversely when the throttle blades are open (acceleration) the engine is able to suck in lots of air through the throttle body, so there is less overall vacuum pressure in the manifold. In turn, accessories that need vacuum to operate are starved out during acceleration (do a quick acceleration and step on brakes, they will be really weak). This results in things like air conditioning flopping around the different HVAC vents because not enough vacuum to keep the selected outlet open, or having the cruise control cut itself off because there is not enough pressure to maintain the valve.

As for the canister, when the vacuum is being pulled through the manifold and lines, the air that is naturally present in the canister gets sucked out, resulting in negative pressure in the bottle. When the manifold vacuum dies out during acceleration, the air pressure in the canister tries to normalize with ambient air pressure, which means that the canister is now sucking air out the accessory lines, which means that it becomes the vacuum source for the accessories on that line.
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Magus2727
1995 XJ Cherokee 

can't add much to what has already been said but it also holds a a vacuum for quite some time after the motor is off. that's the rushing of air sound that you get when the vehicle is off but you adjust the climate control settings.
NAXJA Member #2619

1995 Jeep Sport Cherokee 4x4 with an Auto and 4.0L
B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
Magus2727 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Finaltheorem47
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for your replies. My HVAC has functions fine, but the cruise control doesn't work. I don't believe the cruise control worked before I took it off though.

I am unsure because when I got the Jeep, I tore it apart before I started driving it, so I am just going off of what the previous owner told me.

I am pulling about 16 inches of Mercury though at idle. Will the reservoir effect braking at all? I am already planning to re-install it now, but I'd just like to know. Will some fuel line hose work well enough to use when I relocate it?
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
ehall
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finaltheorem47 View Post
I am pulling about 16 inches of Mercury though at idle.
That's a good number for idle.

Quote:
Will the reservoir effect braking at all?
Not by design. There is supposed to be a check valve on the accessory line at the firewall, which will prevent vacuum pressure from going back into the manifold. If the check valve is broken or missing then yes the bottle will be a vacuum source for everything else that is attached to the manifold. .

Quote:
Will some fuel line hose work well enough to use when I relocate it?
Fuel and heater hose are hard to use since they are not as flexible and pliable. You end up getting too large a size, and then it does not seal as well and you lose vacuum pressure. Better to get real vacuum hose that is just a little too small, and use silicone dielectric grease to lubricate and seal the connectors.
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Finaltheorem47
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, thanks.
Unread 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #8
XJohnnyC

On my 92 MJ, I got a reservoir from a 97+ XJ. They're round and smaller than the pre-97 oblong-shaped ones. So it's easier to find a nice spot to relocate it.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've got a cone intake, so I was able to put mine where the air box used to be. I was able to reroute the hard lines and use only limited vacuum hose. Make sure you keep the check valve in place on the manifold and the one near the firewall.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #10
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Im having issues with my vacuum lines and less than satisfactory idle. Would a bad canister kill my idle speeds? Ive unplugged the lead from the cannister to my manifold and the RPM's at idle and in gear are much better. Im lost on this one.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.