Vacuum lines diagram - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Vacuum lines diagram

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
funnynyck
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Vacuum lines diagram

for a 1996 Cherokee XJ, any idea where can I download it? Trying google, no luck so far.

Brake is acting weird, pedal feel not good, whenever I floor the throttle pedal the A/C Blower changes ducts from the front ones to somewhere else, no air comes out from the vents but i can hear blower working 'woooooooo' and gets back to the front vents slowly when i release the throttle... The jeep starts and coughs for some seconds and then gets up slowly, press the throttle even slightly it goes off. And it nevers starts on the first crank, no matter how long you keep it cranking.

I tried chasing the vacuum lines, I was going bonkers chasing them. Since I don't know much about how they work as well, could someone be generous and explain in simplest form that how that vacuum system works, for a start..

funnynyck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Check the vacuum canister in your bumper for leaks in it or the lines leading to it. Most common sign of it's failure is air out the defrost vents only.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
funnynyck
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is not in the bumper, its placed near the firewall, where I think the blower motor is.. mine is a RHD btw.

I've checked the canister, it seems to be okay, the third inlet/outlet/slot w/e it is, has to be connected or not? I've three slots on the canister, and 1 of them isn't connected to anything..
Unread 05-21-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Try using the search function in this forum.

You canister was relocated. You likely have a custom bumper so the PO moved it. Yes, all fiittings should have a line or cap. The reservoir holds vacuum for the HVAC vents and the Cruise Control.
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 12:43 AM   #5
funnynyck
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think that it was relocated, the PO didn't bother to change its engine oil, let alone doing something like relocating the canister, it must have to do something with LHD and RHD, mine is a RHD. I don't have a custom bumper or anything, its all stock except the steering gearbox.

And I used the search function, yes there are diagrams, but I need something for a 1996 XJ, and clear, not small that I go on finding those things in the diagrams first..
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
khurley
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I also have a 96 cherokee, and my canister is also against the firewall.

I just put in a reman, and now I only get air blowing through the defrost vents. the jeep is also hesitating and backfiring, is that what yours is doing?

sorry I didn't have much to offer, but I am having some of the same issues.
khurley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
funnynyck
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, when it starts up I have to let it idle rough for a few seconds, If i press the throttle it backfires and dies.. and then starts up just fine..

You could have the diagrams maybe? If you could email them to me, that'd be great.. My vents system is working fine..

and Oh, the brake pedal feel is nasty aswell, its not soft, not hard, its well *slow*..
Unread 05-22-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
funnynyck
1996 XJ Cherokee 

it also sometimes revs itself to 3k RPMs and thats well, really really nasty!
Unread 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnynyck View Post
I don't think that it was relocated, the PO didn't bother to change its engine oil, let alone doing something like relocating the canister, it must have to do something with LHD and RHD, mine is a RHD. I don't have a custom bumper or anything, its all stock except the steering gearbox.

And I used the search function, yes there are diagrams, but I need something for a 1996 XJ, and clear, not small that I go on finding those things in the diagrams first..
Are you sure it's the vacuum reservoir and not the Evap canister?

When under heavy acceleration, the engine operates at low vacuum. If there's a leak, then there's not enough vacuum to maintain the door positions and they default to Defrost. Once you back off, the engine vacuum rises and the doors go back to normal. A big enough leak would affect eng op as well.

While climbing up mountain passes, my cruise control (also vacuum operated) will quit until I cross the summit.

I don't have a 96 manual but will check. You can also try Autozone.com. The have repair guides online. You have to register, but it's free.
Unread 05-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #10
funnynyck
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I dont know what is an evap canister, thats why i needed to know how the vacuum system works.. what goes where..

Do care to tell me about the vacuum reservoir and the evap canister.
Unread 05-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
funnynyck
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the pic: What this bottle is? EVAP canister or the vacuum reservoir?

Note that one of the inlet/outlet is not connected / not capped.
Unread 05-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, that's the evaporative canister for the emissions. The vacuum reservoir is behind the pass side front bumper. At least, it is on a LHD vehicle.
Unread 07-06-2009, 10:28 PM   #13
audiemurphy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Did you guys ever figure out what was going on with your jeeps? I have pretty much the same problems, 5 second start up, rough idle at first, a/c going to defrost while climbing a hill, but without the backfire. I am trying to figure out how to perform a vacuum test on this and any help would be appreciated.

I was thinking it was my fuel pump since its reading 36psi until i saw this thread.

96 xj country.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.