Vacuum and the 231 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Vacuum and the 231

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-16-2002, 02:05 AM   #1
cladinshadow

Vacuum and the 231

How essential is the vacuum to the 231? I don't have it hooked up to any vacuum at all, and i just finished converting my jeep to 4 wheel drive. The transmission and transfer case are having trouble taking the power from the engine and turning anything. The transfer case and transmission can be in any gear and it won't turn a damn thing. It's filled w/ ATF, too. Figures, I finally get done converting and lifting my jeep only to find the transmission/transfer case i got don't work.

"Oh, thank god. It's some sort of rescue toaster."
cladinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2002, 06:35 AM   #2
johny1i

If you're talking about the NP231 that us Wrangler guys have, the vacuum is only for a switch on the top of the TC that sends vacuum to our front axle when the TC is shifted to 4WD (the front axle has a vacuum-operated disconnect). The vacuum has nothing to do with the operation of the TC, and in fact many guys replace the vacuum setup with a cable to the front axle, thus eliminating the vacuum lines going to the TC entirely.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2002, 06:38 AM   #3
johny1i

I couldn't tell from your post what kind of transmission you put into it, but if you installed an automatic and the torque converter isn't full of fluid, nothing will happen (it will just spin). The torque converter must be filled prior to installation (or at least that's what we had to do)--some of these other guys may have ways to do it after the fact. I had the same exact problem with an old Powerglide transmission.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2002, 09:00 PM   #4
cladinshadow

The torque converter wasn't full, but it was drippin fluid when we put it in. It's at the 4x Doctor, an awesome shop in Burbank, Ca, and hopefully they'll be able to give me a little more information. The weird thing is that it won't spin anything but when i put it back in park w/ the engine on, it makes a weird clanky / grinding noise. But only to park. =c\

"Oh, thank god. It's some sort of rescue toaster."
cladinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.