Used Engine advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Used Engine advice?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 08-12-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Used Engine advice?

Any advice for replacing my engine with a used engine? The place I bought my 2000 Cherokee from is going to replace my engine with a used one after I discovered a cracked head/shot bearings. They will pay to replace it with an older engine from a junkyard. Any thoughts? I was thinking of telling them I'd pay the difference for a rebuild from Marshall. Does that make sense or a used engine is fine?

JBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
mayeni
1992 XJ Cherokee 

How much is the difference used vs rebuild?
mayeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayeni View Post
How much is the difference used vs rebuild?
I'm not sure yet. I think if its a used engine, they cover the whole thing. Any upgrades, I have to pay for. I'm just nervous of getting a used engine. I know if it has a 0331 head I should be VERY nervous and I'd demand they replace it. I'd shell out for the gaskets and head but I wonder what the price difference is between that and getting a new engine. I mean, if the labor is free, I may just tell them I want one from Marshall for just under $2k and eat the difference if it means a 3 year warranty. Thoughts?
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Get the used. Make sure you have 30 day warranty.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't have a problem with a (relatively) low mileage used motor but not if it is a complete motor from an 00-01 with a 0331 head. Rather I'd prefer it be pieced together with an XJ block (I believe all 91-01s are compatible) and a "TUPY" head from a 02-04 WJ (Grand Cherokee) or 02-06 TJ/LJ (Wrangler) since the "TUPY" head is a corrected casting and doesn't have the cracking issue (of course the same would apply to a used block and a new head from Clearwater, etc.). It is also possible to use a complete pre-00 engine but something would have to be fabricated for a coil pack mount since the pre-00 heads don't have the mounting bosses for the coil-packs used on 00-01s.

Allot comes down to the price difference too. If it was less than $1,000 difference I would probably go for the new/remanufactured engine just to know that every thing is new or machined to factory spec.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with a (relatively) low mileage used motor but not if it is a complete motor from an 00-01 with a 0331 head. Rather I'd prefer it be pieced together with an XJ block (I believe all 91-01s are compatible) and a "TUPY" head from a 02-04 WJ (Grand Cherokee) or 02-06 TJ/LJ (Wrangler) since the "TUPY" head is a corrected casting and doesn't have the cracking issue (of course the same would apply to a used block and a new head from Clearwater, etc.). It is also possible to use a complete pre-00 engine but something would have to be fabricated for a coil pack mount since the pre-00 heads don't have the mounting bosses for the coil-packs used on 00-01s.

Allot comes down to the price difference too. If it was less than $1,000 difference I would probably go for the new/remanufactured engine just to know that every thing is new or machined to factory spec.
Good call. I didn't think of the coil pack relder engines. I totaly agree regarding the $1000. That's my line. If its a used engine around the same year i'll pay for a new head and gaskets if they do the labor on it (or is that something I can do? - I'm a beginner still) or if the price of a used engine is within $1,000 of a reman I'll just spend the $ on that.
Unread 08-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlue View Post
If its a used engine around the same year i'll pay for a new head and gaskets if they do the labor on it (or is that something I can do? - I'm a beginner still).
It isn't a particularly difficult job (as long as the bolts co-operate) but it is somewhat time consuming (6-8 hrs.) and you'll need a good torque wrench to get the new bolts (do not re-use the original head bolts) torqued to correct spec. It is defiantly something you want to read up on and fully understand before doing since screwing it can cause coolant to leak into the oil (if the head gasket doesn't seal right) and leave you in the same situation you are in now.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
TonyIN
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I am by no means an expert at this, but just finished installing a used engine in mine. Junkyard motor w/ 88k on it. Purchased from Rockford Auto Parts in Chicago, came with a 90 day warranty.
I probably voided the warranty, but went ahead and replaced the oil pump, rear main seal, motor mounts, crank sensor, and water pump before I put it in - just because.
Not sure if you have the option or leverage in your deal, but depending on the mileage of the used engine you may want to look at replacing some hard to get to items while its out.
By the way, its only been one day, but the engine runs great, so I would not have any reservations about a low mileage used replacement.
Good Luck.
TonyIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyIN View Post
I am by no means an expert at this, but just finished installing a used engine in mine. Junkyard motor w/ 88k on it. Purchased from Rockford Auto Parts in Chicago, came with a 90 day warranty.
I probably voided the warranty, but went ahead and replaced the oil pump, rear main seal, motor mounts, crank sensor, and water pump before I put it in - just because.
Not sure if you have the option or leverage in your deal, but depending on the mileage of the used engine you may want to look at replacing some hard to get to items while its out.
By the way, its only been one day, but the engine runs great, so I would not have any reservations about a low mileage used replacement.
Good Luck.
Thanks Tony, if I have them do the used engine i'm going to want a few things done...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.