Upgrading from Dana 35 to Chrysler 8.25 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Upgrading from Dana 35 to Chrysler 8.25

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-10-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
j4rama
BAMF

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Upgrading from Dana 35 to Chrysler 8.25

I'm looking to upgrade my Dana 35 - it's currently grinding when I coast, so it's an issue I need to address. I want to lift the Jeep, so I figured I'd replace the axle before doing so, instead of repairing the Dana.

I've been looking around and I found a Chrysler 8.25 off of a 2000 XJ (no idea how many miles). 29 Spline, 3.55 gearing (same as mine). The guy is saying that it's LSD and is asking $250.

I've searched many of the forums regarding this, but haven't gotten concise answers. Most of it is just asking which is better, etc.

Anyways, I want to know if all 8.25 29 splines come LSD, or if it's rare? Is LSD the best choice? From what I read, it wears out and has to be replaced anyways. (I won't be doing much rock climbing once lifted - mainly just romping through trails and snow, in the winter).

Is $250 a good price for this? If so, what should I look for when checking it out?

I'm fairly certain that this is not ABS equipped. What will be the difference if I switch to this from the Dana 35? Any issues I should know about?

Are the 8.25 brakes drum or disc, or do they vary? Is conversion a problem, if so?

Do I need to upgrade anything else? Sounds like I may need to grab the drive shaft as it may be different a length.

Anything else I'm missing or any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated.

FYI - I plan on re-gearing after lifting.

Thanks in advance!

j4rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 05:31 AM   #2
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you plan on re-gearing, just look for an axle with the gearing you WILL want and swap when the time comes. Re-gearing is very not cheap. Buying an axle already geared is much more affordable.

Be SURE that you do/don't have ABS. An 8.25 will not support ABS--only the D35's did.

All XJ's had rear drum brakes from the factory.

Make sure it's an 8.25 from an XJ. KJ's had 8.25's, but they won't fit on an XJ without modification. If it's from an XJ, it will fit fine assuming you have a driveshaft of appropriate length.

Depending on the type of LSD, yes, they can wear-out. They can also require a special additive in your oil to function correctly. I don't know how rare they were or not.

Why is your D35 grinding? It could be a simple/cheap fix. If it is, I'd definitely fix it and wait til it's time for new gearing to get a new axle at which point I'd buy one with the desired gearing already installed. I don't know how high you're lifting, but you may need an SYE when you do which will require a different driveshaft--another reason to wait to do the axle swap until lift time.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just swapped a HP D30 & a Chry 8.25/29 spline into my XJ a couple weekends ago.
1) if you've got ABS, you'll just eliminate it in the rear. I did ****-can the front ABS also, so my whole system is cut off.
2) the 8.25 has drums, I'd recommend swapping it over to disks either with a Tera-Flex conversion kit or stock WJ rear disk brakes.
3) You'll need the following: at a minimum
- new (yes new) U Bolts - seriousoffroad.com
- new u-bolt/spring plates - seriousoffroad.com
- new e brake cables. Check out Morris off road as they have the cables. I think they are off JK's or something.
I'd also recommend replacing the Universal at the pinion.
- if you were to swap to disk brakes you'll need:
- New brake lines on the axle
- E-brake cables
- Longer wheel studs (off the WJ)

Lots of brake fluid, it took quite a while to bleed the brakes, but all my calipers were new & new lines

The LSD is good & not too rare. Mine had it, swapped it out for an ARB. Would also recommend replacing axle seals & outter bearings since the axle will be out & accessible.

My 8.25

caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
j4rama
BAMF

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
If you plan on re-gearing, just look for an axle with the gearing you WILL want and swap when the time comes. Re-gearing is very not cheap. Buying an axle already geared is much more affordable.

Be SURE that you do/don't have ABS. An 8.25 will not support ABS--only the D35's did.

All XJ's had rear drum brakes from the factory.

Make sure it's an 8.25 from an XJ. KJ's had 8.25's, but they won't fit on an XJ without modification. If it's from an XJ, it will fit fine assuming you have a driveshaft of appropriate length.

Depending on the type of LSD, yes, they can wear-out. They can also require a special additive in your oil to function correctly. I don't know how rare they were or not.

Why is your D35 grinding? It could be a simple/cheap fix. If it is, I'd definitely fix it and wait til it's time for new gearing to get a new axle at which point I'd buy one with the desired gearing already installed. I don't know how high you're lifting, but you may need an SYE when you do which will require a different driveshaft--another reason to wait to do the axle swap until lift time.
It is coming off of a 2000 XJ. I have a 2001 XJ.

No clue why the D35 is grinding. Don't have the resources to do it myself
and I was getting ridiculous quotes to troubleshoot it. I have a buddy with a garage that was going to help me lift it and figured adding the axle wouldn't be too much trouble. If it's cheap and easy, that would be an option as I'm only looking to lift it 3" for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caronaxtr View Post
I just swapped a HP D30 & a Chry 8.25/29 spline into my XJ a couple weekends ago.
1) if you've got ABS, you'll just eliminate it in the rear. I did ****-can the front ABS also, so my whole system is cut off.
2) the 8.25 has drums, I'd recommend swapping it over to disks either with a Tera-Flex conversion kit or stock WJ rear disk brakes.
3) You'll need the following: at a minimum
- new (yes new) U Bolts - seriousoffroad.com
- new u-bolt/spring plates - seriousoffroad.com
- new e brake cables. Check out Morris off road as they have the cables. I think they are off JK's or something.
I'd also recommend replacing the Universal at the pinion.
- if you were to swap to disk brakes you'll need:
- New brake lines on the axle
- E-brake cables
- Longer wheel studs (off the WJ)

Lots of brake fluid, it took quite a while to bleed the brakes, but all my calipers were new & new lines

The LSD is good & not too rare. Mine had it, swapped it out for an ARB. Would also recommend replacing axle seals & outter bearings since the axle will be out & accessible.

My 8.25

That's a nice looking 8.25. How did you prep it (sand it/paint, etc.)?

What is a standard price for a 8.25 LSD in good condition?

How are the brakes now that you no longer have ABS?
j4rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4rama
That's a nice looking 8.25. How did you prep it (sand it/paint, etc.)? What is a standard price for a 8.25 LSD in good condition? How are the brakes now that you no longer have ABS?
Prep, on the 8.25, I ground it down with a 4.5" grinding wheel, cut off the shock mounts to clean it down really good. I added JKS short shock mounts when I installed it. Primer, some rustolem primer (should have gotten some epoxy primer). First cost was Tractor implement paint from Tractor Supply. It's really tough & with stands a beating. Lightly sanded & used rattle can HighGloss rustolem. Did the same on my HP D30 except paid $75 to have that & both knuckles sand blasted. Should have done that to the 8.25 but well. HP D30 when I got it home: After sandblasting: Just before installing: That's off of a 96, 8.25 was off of a 98 My 8.25 w/ LSD was $100 from a friend highest I'd pay would be $150-$200 max. D30 was $125 off Craig's list & I've probably got about $2,500+ into both. HD steering, air lockers (Front/Rear) 4.56 gears, compressor, rear disk con., unit bearings, master installs, misc items, etc, etc. It ain't cheap, but will be reliable when I'm done. Reason for everything is to run 35's & wheel it with out too much worry. Good luck, ask tons of questions.

Sorry, brakes are amassing, recommend it 100%. The rear conversion went without a hitch, front brake rebuild, not as good. Jeep is parked till I get new (2nd) rotors. Live and learn.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.