Update: Cone Filter VS Drop in Filter ..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Update: Cone Filter VS Drop in Filter .....

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-07-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
trailblaze
2004 WJ 

Update: Cone Filter VS Drop in Filter .....

i was running a cone filter without any type of heat shield... was getting about 14-16 mpg....like i said in the thread a few days ago, it sounded good but i really didn't feel any performance gains,

since my cone filter was pretty much destroyed, i put my old (recharged) k&n drop in filter, i've been driving the same and am now getting 16-18 mpg...

i am going to make a "homemade heat shield" and put another cone on to see if i notice any difference in mpg's.....

sorry if this is stupid info....just thought i'd let others know

Unread 07-07-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Bowhunter46563
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Did the same thing, went back to the drop in and stayed there.
01 XJ/4" lift/33" DC Muds/Sidebiter Wheels/Surco/ Hi-lift/Pilot lights/Bad Apple Fab diff gaurds/Front and rear receiver hitches/Rusty's LCA's/ Magnaflow/Rubi HD Track bar and Brace/Big Daddy tie rod/TB Spacer/Ractive air intake/ Jet Stage 1/Pioneeer & Fusion Sound/AJ's Super rails/Warn Skid /BW Flat Flares/Bedlined Rockers and Quarters
Bowhunter46563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #3
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I put my box and drop in K&N for a wheeling trip months ago and just never went back to the cone. I am still working on a Red-Neck low profile snorkle. Just haven't figured out what to use as a bonnet/cover/top.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
JBassXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblaze
i was running a cone filter without any type of heat shield... was getting about 14-16 mpg....like i said in the thread a few days ago, it sounded good but i really didn't feel any performance gains,

since my cone filter was pretty much destroyed, i put my old (recharged) k&n drop in filter, i've been driving the same and am now getting 16-18 mpg...

i am going to make a "homemade heat shield" and put another cone on to see if i notice any difference in mpg's.....

sorry if this is stupid info....just thought i'd let others know

I feel a decent size difference between my drop in and cone filter in performance. Also, the cone filter gets a measily 1-2 mpg over the drop in too. But then again, I do have exhaust mods as well as header wrap on my header... so maybe that's what's helping it.... Is their any way to use the stock box as a heat shield for the cone filter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Pics or ban.
JBassXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Fred85

i noticed a 1-2 mpg increase with a K&N cone filter over the stock box/paper filter........without a heatsheild, which is currently in the works

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.