Update: Cone Filter VS Drop in Filter ..... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-07-2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
trailblaze

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Update: Cone Filter VS Drop in Filter .....

i was running a cone filter without any type of heat shield... was getting about 14-16 mpg....like i said in the thread a few days ago, it sounded good but i really didn't feel any performance gains,

since my cone filter was pretty much destroyed, i put my old (recharged) k&n drop in filter, i've been driving the same and am now getting 16-18 mpg...

i am going to make a "homemade heat shield" and put another cone on to see if i notice any difference in mpg's.....

sorry if this is stupid info....just thought i'd let others know

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-07-2006, 05:27 PM
Bowhunter46563

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Did the same thing, went back to the drop in and stayed there.

01 XJ/4" lift/33" DC Muds/Sidebiter Wheels/Surco/ Hi-lift/Pilot lights/Bad Apple Fab diff gaurds/Front and rear receiver hitches/Rusty's LCA's/ Magnaflow/Rubi HD Track bar and Brace/Big Daddy tie rod/TB Spacer/Ractive air intake/ Jet Stage 1/Pioneeer & Fusion Sound/AJ's Super rails/Warn Skid /BW Flat Flares/Bedlined Rockers and Quarters
post #3 of 5 Old 07-07-2006, 08:19 PM
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I put my box and drop in K&N for a wheeling trip months ago and just never went back to the cone. I am still working on a Red-Neck low profile snorkle. Just haven't figured out what to use as a bonnet/cover/top.

93 Sport
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy............Ben Franklin

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
post #4 of 5 Old 07-07-2006, 09:26 PM
JBassXJ

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblaze
i was running a cone filter without any type of heat shield... was getting about 14-16 mpg....like i said in the thread a few days ago, it sounded good but i really didn't feel any performance gains,

since my cone filter was pretty much destroyed, i put my old (recharged) k&n drop in filter, i've been driving the same and am now getting 16-18 mpg...

i am going to make a "homemade heat shield" and put another cone on to see if i notice any difference in mpg's.....

sorry if this is stupid info....just thought i'd let others know

I feel a decent size difference between my drop in and cone filter in performance. Also, the cone filter gets a measily 1-2 mpg over the drop in too. But then again, I do have exhaust mods as well as header wrap on my header... so maybe that's what's helping it.... Is their any way to use the stock box as a heat shield for the cone filter?

soon to be enforced in close to all threads....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake
Pics or ban.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-08-2006, 12:55 PM
Fred85

i noticed a 1-2 mpg increase with a K&N cone filter over the stock box/paper filter........without a heatsheild, which is currently in the works

2001 Cherokee Limited
4.0 ~ AW4 ~ 4x4 ~ D30/8.25 ~ OME suspension ~ ZJ rear brakes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.