Unknown problem idle problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-21-2007, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
drunkenmonke
2013 JK Wrangler 

Unknown problem idle problem

My 4.0 starts up fine and then goes into a rough idle. I have cleaned the original TPS sensor and swapped it with another used one. The other thing that is connected to the throttle body i have also swapped with another used one(the one where the little square fits into the grooved plastic Im assuming its hooked to the butterfly). I could not find a map sensor to swap out but tried cleaning inside that, could that be the problem? I go thorugh ridiculous amounts of gas when the check engine light finally does come on, but then i just pull the negative battery cable, reset the computer and it runs with no engine light for a while. Everything got submerged in water. I have checked connections and cleaned them out and vacuum lines. A computer hooked up to it said Fuel system lean at bank 1, and the turn key method I believe came up with a 25 code. Please give me all possible ideas because I am running out of them and gettin ready to get rid of this thing if I can't trouble shoot it, I've spent weeks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-21-2007, 08:50 PM
project78

check your temp control sensor,let me know if it'
s it. I had a 5.2 THAT DROVE ME NUTS. every 7 minutes black smoke billow out of exaust.Had to pull over pull the neg cable .again again again.........
post #3 of 7 Old 12-21-2007, 08:54 PM
lifted92xj

1992 XJ Cherokee 

also on the firewall to the right of the valve cover theres a little black computer sensor(brain freeze cant think of what its called) but has ony 1 plug going in..make sure thats connected and tight..i had that problem before and that fixed it..if i find a pic of an enine bay ill mark it out for you

big lift, sick tires, awsome accessories, alot of custom work.

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2007, 08:57 PM
lifted92xj

1992 XJ Cherokee 

not my engine but this is what i was talking about

post #5 of 7 Old 12-22-2007, 08:09 AM
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted92xj
not my engine but this is what i was talking about
That's the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) SENSOR. It senses intake manifold vacuum, and the ECU uses that, along with other inputs, to calculate F/A ratio, and adjust fuel injector pulse duration.

AZ-Jeff
I don't own an XJ any longer, but I still think they are the best of all the Jeep products ever made. My XJ was my favorite vehicle in my 50+ years of driving.
So...I stick around and give advice.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
drunkenmonke
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, my map is on the throttle body and i cant seem to find a used one or that would have been changed already. I will also try the temp control.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-22-2007, 10:56 AM
lifted92xj

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff
That's the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) SENSOR. It senses intake manifold vacuum, and the ECU uses that, along with other inputs, to calculate F/A ratio, and adjust fuel injector pulse duration.
thats better than litte black computer thingy..thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.