Unknown problem idle problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Unknown problem idle problem

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
drunkenmonke
2013 JK Wrangler 

Unknown problem idle problem

My 4.0 starts up fine and then goes into a rough idle. I have cleaned the original TPS sensor and swapped it with another used one. The other thing that is connected to the throttle body i have also swapped with another used one(the one where the little square fits into the grooved plastic Im assuming its hooked to the butterfly). I could not find a map sensor to swap out but tried cleaning inside that, could that be the problem? I go thorugh ridiculous amounts of gas when the check engine light finally does come on, but then i just pull the negative battery cable, reset the computer and it runs with no engine light for a while. Everything got submerged in water. I have checked connections and cleaned them out and vacuum lines. A computer hooked up to it said Fuel system lean at bank 1, and the turn key method I believe came up with a 25 code. Please give me all possible ideas because I am running out of them and gettin ready to get rid of this thing if I can't trouble shoot it, I've spent weeks!

drunkenmonke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
project78

check your temp control sensor,let me know if it'
s it. I had a 5.2 THAT DROVE ME NUTS. every 7 minutes black smoke billow out of exaust.Had to pull over pull the neg cable .again again again.........
project78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

also on the firewall to the right of the valve cover theres a little black computer sensor(brain freeze cant think of what its called) but has ony 1 plug going in..make sure thats connected and tight..i had that problem before and that fixed it..if i find a pic of an enine bay ill mark it out for you

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

not my engine but this is what i was talking about

Unread 12-22-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted92xj
not my engine but this is what i was talking about
That's the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) SENSOR. It senses intake manifold vacuum, and the ECU uses that, along with other inputs, to calculate F/A ratio, and adjust fuel injector pulse duration.
2000 XJ 3" lift -- Australian Ford Big Brakes up front, rock rails, ZJ rear discs (with WORKING parking brake), C4x4 rear bumper/tire carrier, Hella H4 headlights, IPF driving lights, OEM skid plates, OME springs/shocks, JKS LCA's, JKS Sway Bar links.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:54 AM   #6
drunkenmonke
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, my map is on the throttle body and i cant seem to find a used one or that would have been changed already. I will also try the temp control.
drunkenmonke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:56 AM   #7
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff
That's the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) SENSOR. It senses intake manifold vacuum, and the ECU uses that, along with other inputs, to calculate F/A ratio, and adjust fuel injector pulse duration.
thats better than litte black computer thingy..thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.