Unknowingly overheated..now ripping into the motor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Unknowingly overheated..now ripping into the motor

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Unknowingly overheated..now ripping into the motor

Hey everyone..

I was driving my 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L down the highway today around 65-70 miles per hour on my way to Boston, MA when I began to hear some faint ticking. The ticking began getting worse and before I know it I was losing power in the engine. I decided to pull off the next exit and the moment I did I lost the engine completely. When I came to a stop I realized then the engine overheated and was smoking pretty bad.

Keep in mind, MY GUAGES DO NOT WORK. Therefor I had no idea it was heating up. Regardless I had it towed and began checking the engine over

I found that the cooling fan does not work, I jumped it straight from the battery and no movement whatsoever. Also, checking the coolant it was completely empty except for the reservoir which was now a dark mud color instead of lime green. I pulled the spark plugs and all were good except for Cylinder #1, which was no longer gapped and it was soaked in gas whereas the others were dry and proper.

I proceeded to a compression test and my results are as follows,
#1: 0
#2: 60
#3: 90
#4: 120
#5: 120
#6: 120

My guess is a blown head gasket? The oil seems undisturbed, no antifreeze in it whatsoever.

Any ideas? I won't be able to break into the engine until tomorrow.

Also, besides the gauges not working she ran like a top before this incident.

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Jeeperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you have no compression in #1 cylinder? I am thinking a good educated guess, would be to call a priest and put that powerplant to rest. The ticking could have been a myriad of things that caused the overheat. Sounds like a stuck valve, which would explain the ticking. If I've seen one, I've seen a hundred where No. 1 cylinder is dead. That's because it's always the one starved for oil. The way the block sits in the engine bay is tilted backwards, therefore No.1 always gets jipped of oil. Thats why its important to keep it full and changed regularly. Let us know what you find.
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywrangler94
you have no compression in #1 cylinder? I am thinking a good educated guess, would be to call a priest and put that powerplant to rest. The ticking could have been a myriad of things that caused the overheat. Sounds like a stuck valve, which would explain the ticking. If I've seen one, I've seen a hundred where No. 1 cylinder is dead. That's because it's always the one starved for oil. The way the block sits in the engine bay is tilted backwards, therefore No.1 always gets jipped of oil. Thats why its important to keep it full and changed regularly. Let us know what you find.
How would the #1 cylinder get starved of oil? Unless the oil level was so low that the pickup tube wasn't sucking up any oil, it should get the same amount of oil as the other cylinders being a pressure lubed system.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

well, if you take a look at your engine in your engine bay, notice the engine tilts backwards. Does water roll uphill? Physics don't change in a Jeep. Its the highest point of the head. Hence, the oil tends to run down quicker, its not a flaw, just how it is. Which is why I say, to change your oil when your supposed to and to use what your supposed to. And, if you didn't know, No.6, every now and then, tends to blow the skirt off the piston. Which has happened to me once and to 2 of my customers. In any event, thats from my friends at Chrysler, I didn't make it up. Did that answer your question?
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
How would the #1 cylinder get starved of oil? Unless the oil level was so low that the pickup tube wasn't sucking up any oil, it should get the same amount of oil as the other cylinders being a pressure lubed system.
This^^^^^^^exactly, it's a pressurized lubrication system. What rear wheel drive vehicle is the front of the motor NOT higher than the rear?
Unread 07-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure the tilting of the engine isn't starving Piston 1 of oil or else it would have been designed differently.

This engine was upkept and ran like a champ before overheating caused this problem. Regular oil changes has nothing to do with it. I'm sure if I was able to watch my temp gauge I would have caught it on time and I wouldn't be tearing into the motor. I think a combination of low antifreeze, a nonworking cooling fan, no fan shroud, an aging cooling system and the fact that the heat index was over 100 degrees is the cause

I'll be ripping apart the motor today and keep you guys updated.
What a way to spend my birthday weekend

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think I found the problem

image-2921699486.jpg

The piston is missing pieces on the side. Would overheating cause this???

Unread 07-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bump.

Anyone care to chime in?

Unread 07-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperez View Post
Bump.

Anyone care to chime in?
Yes. Severe overheating can lead to detonation. Detonation can literally knock chunks out of the edge of the piston. I had this happen to me on a Ford 2.3L four cylinder.

If you lower the piston, you will probably see where the combustion gases may even be flame cutting the side wall of the cylinder.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

What does the head look like?
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-x View Post
What does the head look like?
The head looks OK but I was considering taking it to a machine shop just to make sure it is good. How much would refinishing a head run me roughly?

The dealer wants $194.00 for a single cylinder.. and doesn't include the ring. Autozone has a set of 6 with rings for $122.00. Does anyone know if it will be an exact fit?

Unread 07-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Always get the head machined after its pulled off,the head can have the slightest warp in it and can cause head gasket failure very quick,plus it will give you an idea if there are any cracks.I would try rockauto.com for parts way better than AutoZone plus much cheaper.
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
poppyseed
2000 XJ Cherokee 

not worth a rebuild trust me, it will never run right again
poppyseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppyseed View Post
not worth a rebuild trust me, it will never run right again
A good and done right rebuild should run perfectly fine,but the key words are done right.
Unread 07-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
Griff1918
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well since you are to this point you could build a poor man stroker.
Griff1918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.