Unibody design = Designed obsolescence? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Unibody design = Designed obsolescence?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 10-09-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
jmbrowning

Unibody design = Designed obsolescence?

The Missus has it in her mind to pick up an XJ for mod off-roading and backup duty to the Subi Outback for daily driver use. XJ's are pretty common and pretty cheap around here.

I have a concern about the unibody design though. Unlike the tub on frame designs which seem to last forever, until the tub gets replaced, the unibody seems to be susceptible to fatigue and flexing.

How long does the unibody last before it flexes so much that the doors and hatch don't close anymore? Should the Wife get a new XJ and get the chassis reinforced before any lifting or off-roading occurs?

Admittedly, being as inexpensive as they are, could just part out the rubber XJ and slap the saved parts in another one.

Unread 10-09-2003, 04:12 PM   #2
JTruel
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you are worried, do what drag racers do

Build a set of longitudinal support braces (subframe connectors) and weld them in... Cherokees already have a similar thing, but extra insurance wouldn't hurt... and unibodies hold up fairly well UNTIL they get wrecked. I have a 63 falcon and its a unibody... so they can last
Unread 10-09-2003, 04:15 PM   #3
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

An XJ is actually Uniframe so it has some reinforcement. I don't know how long they last, unless you are doing serious flexing it shouldn't be a problem. Body stiffiners are a good idea just in case. I have been looking for something myself.
98 TJ 4.0 Stick 30 Lock-Right/44 True-Track,4.56. Fire RED. Optima Red top. 3" Full Traction lift, Cragar 352 Street locks w/3.75 BS. 32" BFG AT's. Sailcloth top. Classic4x4 tubular fenders. AtoZ Fab rockers and front and rear bumpers. TBT sportsbar and rear spreader. VDP 6 speaker bar. 2K Intake Manifold. Tuffy Speaker lock boxes. Power inverter. Cobra CB. Magellan GPS. Bed lined tub. 3core HD radiator. Olds airbox with Hummer snokle. Besttop seat covers with heaters. All running lights LED.Steering and oil pan skids. Mile Marker PE8000 winch. Currie Anti-Rock. Olympic trunk. Tuffy Console....and Buddha on the winch. :) And a child seat stained with mud.
Hermiston, ORL

AtoZ Where Zach makes me toys!
Stu-Offroad, because I don't have a clue, but Stu does!
cheesycook is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.