Uni strap to u-bolt upgrade done - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Uni strap to u-bolt upgrade done

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
Rock Kustoms

i have those same staps in my 44's, never had an issue with them, beatin the piss outta it

Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 06:04 PM   #17
bassicrob

I was looking into this sometime back when I managed to strip the head off one the bolts securing the strap. I bought a number of u-bolts from the HELP! section and couldn't get enough clearance at the rear of the yoke. Everything I found online regarding this 'mod' was for a D35 or D44. Were the yokes different with the 27 and 29 spline 8.25?? Would've saved me some bucks. I ended up replacing the yoke. :
Proud Survivor of a Rollover!! :) Flip & Roll Club Member #2

[B]Daily Driver:[/B] 2006 Volvo S40
[URL=http://www.longislandjeepers.com/gallery/BassicRobs-93-XJ]PICS[/URL]
[url]www.photograph-ny.com[/url]
bassicrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #18
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassicrob
I was looking into this sometime back when I managed to strip the head off one the bolts securing the strap. I bought a number of u-bolts from the HELP! section and couldn't get enough clearance at the rear of the yoke. Everything I found online regarding this 'mod' was for a D35 or D44. Were the yokes different with the 27 and 29 spline 8.25?? Would've saved me some bucks. I ended up replacing the yoke. :

Thats weird? I only saw 2 diffrent sizes, maybe my HELP section blows, hahah. But anyway, I didn't have any issues with clearance though. You can see in the pics there I had more then enough room to put the nuts on. Were your u-bolts extra long or something? And I think the 27 and 29 have identical yoke part#s.
Unread 01-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #19
bassicrob

missing that first step must've been my problem
Proud Survivor of a Rollover!! :) Flip & Roll Club Member #2

[B]Daily Driver:[/B] 2006 Volvo S40
[URL=http://www.longislandjeepers.com/gallery/BassicRobs-93-XJ]PICS[/URL]
[url]www.photograph-ny.com[/url]
bassicrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #20
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassicrob
missing that first step must've been my problem
ah That is key
Unread 05-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #21
Grand Fan 4eva

I know this is pretty old... Has anyone else done this since? Yesterday I picked up a pair of u-bolts to use on my '00 8.25 (neapco 1-0089) and they fit the u-joint like a glove, but they look too narrow to fit the yoke properly. In other words, the U is too tight, and the ends are too close together to go into the holes in the yoke unless I bend the u bolts further apart or drill over sized holes in the yoke. Anybody have this problem?

'97 XJ ~5" / 33 trxus / RK 3-link / FOA 12" CO's
'00 XJ Stock DD
'68 M715
'98 5.9 Limited
Grand Fan 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
stevemongr
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Fan 4eva View Post
I know this is pretty old... Has anyone else done this since? Yesterday I picked up a pair of u-bolts to use on my '00 8.25 (neapco 1-0089) and they fit the u-joint like a glove, but they look too narrow to fit the yoke properly. In other words, the U is too tight, and the ends are too close together to go into the holes in the yoke unless I bend the u bolts further apart or drill over sized holes in the yoke. Anybody have this problem?
Try this from IronRock;
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...tegory_Code=UP
stevemongr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.