U joint, tie rod end, etc. problems, with video. Please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > U joint, tie rod end, etc. problems, with video. Please help

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-31-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
YeOlCherokee

U joint, tie rod end, etc. problems, with video. Please help

So below is a video of one of my 1998 Cherokee 4.0 Sport 4x4 100% stock - the front end.

This jeep has death wobble, bad. Mostly only between 60-70 mph.

I know i 100% need front tires and an alignment, but there are some things i need to fix. There is clunking/banging when turning in reverse or uneven ground at low speeds, and there is lots of slack in the steering wheel.

I got underneath, shook some stuff around, and I found 2 loose TRE's, a drag link that is tight, but clanks when tapped my hand, and a loose axle U-Joint. Please watch this short video, and put your sound up to hear the sounds. Give any input that you can (What I need to fix, what is normal, what exact parts i might need, etc.) - note - I do zero offroading, so i a just looking for the cheapest, yet effective fix... I am not looking to cut corners, but am not looking to upgrade to parts from a zj or rugged ridge, anything like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzlOKnxiR0w

Im sorry, i do not know how to embed a video, here is the link

YeOlCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
justanotherjpr

The direction you are moving those tie rod ends is within their range of travel. You need to be testing for them moving left-right and not twisting them. The best way to do this is to have someone turn the wheel back and forth quickly from one end of the play to the other.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
What you did there in the video is not going to reveal you anything being wrong or right. You cannot create large enough forces with your bare hands to get anything to show up - unless things are very seriously worn.

As mentioned above, have a friend rotate the steering wheel left-right steadily, and fairly quickly with the engine shut off. What you need to do is go under the front and start looking, and feeling the following things with your fingers:
1. Steering box/ and sector shaft for play.
2. All TREs for play (you're looking at up/down play, NOT if the TRE rotates)
3. Is the trackbar frameside TRE loose/ worn/ does it have play
4. Trackbar axleside bushing for play, and if the mounting bolt itself moves left-right (this is a sign of wallowed-out mounting hole, which is fairly common)

After you're done with this, then also check UCA and LCA bushings for wear. Place a crowbar between the CA pocket and end of CA, and pry in such a way that you're trying to move the CA front or back. There should not be too much movement front or back. Then try twisting (rotate) the CAs in similar fashion. Look for excessive play, and cracks on the bushings.

Any play on any of the mentioned items can cause DW. DW can also be caused by bad shocks, unbalanced tires (have you dropped a weight?), worn unit bearings (you'd hear it), incorrect caster angle, incorrect toe-in adjustment.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #4
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So what Timo is saying is.... If it connects to the axle in anyway it could be bad and causing the death wobble.... Do the diagnosis, BEFORE buying any parts. If you think a part is bad replace it. Chances are most of that stuff is factory.... Most of it is well beyond it's designed service life anyway.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.