Typical overheating issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Typical overheating issues

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Desertrat357
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Typical overheating issues

Well, I don't known if it is because the engine compartment is too small, or the radiator/cooling system is not large enough. But on my new Cherokee which is my 3rd now, it is overheating. While cruising at 65 mph or even around town stop and go there is enough ram air flow to keep it at operating temperatures. However as soon as I am tooling down a two track or wheelin in four low the temp immediately climbs to about 225-230 degrees. So I was hoping to get ideas from your guys fixes. I am planning on wiring an inboard dash switch for electric fan, but what's the best way for that? Is there an aftermarket electric fan available? Can't wait to hear back guys

Desertrat357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
sadoon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Try and fix electrical fans

I fix it on my jeep the temp at 160 -170 F

Im using Subaru fans
Mercedes benz sensor at 85 C
Bosch relly
Fans run when u start the AC at hi speed and at 85 C with switch under dashboard for starting all time
image-1720156084.jpg   image-1578826144.jpg   image-2866892422.jpg   image-2447386368.jpg  

Last edited by sadoon; 05-13-2013 at 10:24 PM..
sadoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds to me like your fan clutch is worn out and no longer locks up.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Desertrat357
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Chris87xj. Is thee a way to test the fan clutch for proper lock-up? I've never known a good way to determine if the clutch is working or not. Thanks
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

With the engine cold and off, you should be able to rotate the fan blades by hand fairly easily. When the engine hot and off, you should feel noticeably more or even strong resistance to manually rotating the blades.
I'm not much impressed with the longevity of stock fan clutches.
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
Desertrat357
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds good, ill try it out this weekend. Is there an aftermarket fan clutch? Or are we stuck with the crappy OE clutches. I appreciate your help.
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
dirtyracer
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i had a this same problem and found that years of driving off road in tall grass had built up a bunch of grass seeds and crab between the a.c. condenser and the radiator i removed the radiator and cleaned it out and it instantly fixed all my problems you might take a look at yours if so it will b a cheap fix
dirtyracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrat357 View Post
Well, I don't known if it is because the engine compartment is too small, or the radiator/cooling system is not large enough. But on my new Cherokee which is my 3rd now, it is overheating........
The engine compartment and cooling system r the same size now as they were way back when, no? Way back when (things were new and the same size as they r now), it probably didn't overheat. Maybe typical owner neglect has taken it's toll over the years since new and causing overheating, no?
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Desertrat357
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Of course the newer Cherokees and older Cherokees and all Cherokees have the same size engine compartment. I was referring to, say a jeep wrangler, or grand Cherokee with the 4.0 liter engine. My observations are they both have much more room under the hood, perhaps more ram air cooling, no? Also instead of having a very short and wide radiator like the XJs it is more of a square shape which perhaps help with cooling. I was just making the observation as to why YJs TJs ZJs and WJs seam to not have overheating problems. Where as the XJ it is inherent. As far as the owner abuse, that is always a possibility since I don't know how the previous owner drove. But as far as i can tell its been well taken care of. New radiator. The waterpump is working, and the T-stat opens at the proper temperature.
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
mike94yj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just replaced my electric fan. It was working but intermittent. Then notices it was running slow.. replaced it and my issues have gone way.
mike94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Every old car forum on the net has overheating threads......usually due to owner neglect/poor maintenance, not engine compartment or cooling system size/design.
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #12
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrat357 View Post
Sounds good, ill try it out this weekend. Is there an aftermarket fan clutch? Or are we stuck with the crappy OE clutches. I appreciate your help.
XJ cooling systems were unfortunately designed more along the needs of grocery getting than wheeling, so in a factory state are probably barely adequate for extreme duty use and can't tolerate any decrease in functionality for those conditions.
Hayden makes some good aftermarket fan clutches for a variety of needs. Since the fan itself makes an audible whirring noise when locked-up, people that don't subject their XJs to extreme duties often prefer softer duty fan clutches due to the decreased noise resulting and less engine power going to the fan.
Here's some good info: Hayden fan clutches
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
Desertrat357
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Chris87xj, thanks for the input. Ill check Hayden products out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.