Turn signals, wipers and heater doesn't work. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Turn signals, wipers and heater doesn't work.

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #1
Jack Aubrey

Turn signals, wipers and heater doesn't work.

I just bought my 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport, and the turn signals and wipers don't work (the wiper switch is, not surprisingly, on the turn signal lever). The heater doesn't work either. All three work in auxiliary mode, and the hazards work fine. Any idea how to fix this? I would prefer to do it myself, although I don't have a steering wheel puller, so if I need that then I'll take it to a mechanic.

I did a search and couldn't find this specific problem.

Also, I realize this is my third thread in less than a week, so thanks for being patient with a newbie Jeep owner.

Jack Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2006, 10:23 PM   #2
cmotsvt

Sounds like it may be the ignition switch, had that problem in a car. In a jeep i think its located mid-lower left steering column.
cmotsvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
Jack Aubrey

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't mind a second opinion though. If it is the ignition switch, what can I expect to pay to get this fixed?

The only work I have done on the electrical on any vehicle is replace the battery and alternator.
Unread 06-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
nailfoot

No need to take it to a mechanic just for a wheel puller. Advance Auto and Autozone both will loan you one if it is needed.

If it is indeed the ignition switch, one can be had for $12.51 at www.rockauto.com.
nailfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
Jack Aubrey

How do I know if it is the ignition switch?
Unread 06-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
nailfoot

Autozone will also pull engine codes for free, maybe that will help narrow your issue down?
nailfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

My ignition switch is on the way out. Sometimes, the accessories cut out. If I wiggle the key a little, they fire right back up.
Unread 06-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
skid2964
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My '94 did that, and it was the ignition switch. I think my ignition switch was around $50 to $75 from the dealer? I cannot remember for sure. May have even been around $25, heck I dont remember the price but I do remember the installation!

You do NOT have to pull the steering wheel to fix it. The switch is on top of the steering column, all you have to do is drop the panel under the column then unbolt the column and let it drop a few inches for access. it wasnt that bad of a job.

Last edited by skid2964; 06-19-2006 at 03:37 PM..
skid2964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
Jack Aubrey

Ok, sounds like it is the ignition switch. I priced one out, brand new, for $27 CDN at NAPA. Now to try to replace it myself.

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.