Turn Signals, Hazards, Break Lights, High Beams - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Turn Signals, Hazards, Break Lights, High Beams

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 05-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Turn Signals, Hazards, Break Lights, High Beams

Ok just a little history in case it matters, my 95 xj sport sat for about a year, had the radio stolen, dead battery and seized alternator. I replaced the alternator and charged the battery to drive to a new house and jeep started and ran fine.

On the way, I noticed I had no turn signals or break lights. parked it at the new house and I am now working on it to get it to be a DD. I have discovered that I also have no hazards or high beam headlights. I do have low beams and tail lights. All bulbs are good.

The stolen radio was disconnected at the connector, no cut wires there.

I replaced the dual flasher under the steering wheel (square relay), new battery, new multi-function switch and new brake switch.

I cleaned the ground by the battery on the fender well and the ground that attaches to the block behind the alternator.

I checked all the fuses in the PDC and all visually are ok.

The fuse box under the dash is where I see one problem and don't know how to fix it. The fuse slot for the turn signals (#8) is missing one of the 2 female connectors, so I have a feeling that is part of the problem.

I have a multi-meter, and only have a 1 mA draw, not sure what to check next.

PLEASE HELP!

ChadsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

started with headlight high beam problem, no high beam power at bulb. started to trace back and opened connector behind driver side headlight. all kinds of corrosion and some pins stayed in when I opened it.

Is there any harm in just cutting the "connectors" off and splicing the ends together? or do they sell a kit to replace just the connectors?
Unread 05-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #3
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I cut the wires on either side of the connector and spliced the proper ones together. Now my high and low beams are working as well as the parking lights which have never worked. Still no turn signals, hazards or brake lights.

Next step is to trace out stop light wires...currently no power for stop light circuit at connector behind spare

Tail lights and backup lights working.
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I am adding to this thread since its all the same troubleshooting...

I found a corroded wire for the hazard circuit at the engine side of the bulkhead connector. Where can I get the small terminal/connector to replace the corroded one? I'm assuming it will just "pop" out of the big connector....

Also, should I clean out the bulk head connector or is the black gunk supposed to be in there? dielectric grease?
Unread 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

In case some one has similar problem, the larger pins in the bulkhead are metri-pack 480's, the smaller ones (which is what the hazard circuit is on) are metri-pack 280's. I found mine at Napa

I pulled lightly on the wire and it came right off of the bulkhead. Since the wire wasn't attached anymore, I pulled the pin out from the pin end. I stripped the corrosion off of the old wire, and attached it to the new pin. I had to grind down the new pin a little bit to get it to go back in the bulkhead. I cleaned the bulkhead with contact cleaner, covered it with di-electric grease, and put it back together. Hazards, turn signals and brake lights all now work.

I found a FSM for my year and this definitely helped with detecting the bad wire, I recommend getting one.
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
96CherokeeS

Thank you!!!!

I'm currently trying to troubleshoot this issue. Thank you for your continued updates!
96CherokeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
ChadsXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Glad someone found it usefull.
4.0 6L, 4.5" RC full leaf pack, coils, and fixed length LCAs, IRO Rear BPEs, Front YJ Brakelines, IRO HnT SYE with Front DS, Cragar Blk D-Window 15x8 4"bs, General Grabber AT2s 33x12.50, Rear Hitch with Warn D-Ring Shackle, Dynomax Super Turbo, HD Offroad Shackle Relocation brackets, IRO Front Hooks, Fenders Trimmed, Stock Flares relocated, floor pans replaced.
Unread 03-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
96CherokeeS

By chance, have you ever experienced any issues with your aux radiator fan? I raplaced the fan and the relay and checked all of my fuses. Checked power to the wiring harness that attaches to the fan wiring harness and its doesn't have power... does this model have a solid state? If so where is it?
96CherokeeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
rick_rob
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Check the grounds behind the back side panels.(behind spare tire). If I remember right there are 3 one the driver side. When I had problems with my taillights it was the grounds in the back. But my problem was I would hit the brakes and the front parking lights would turn on.
rick_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #10
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Very thorough troubleshooting and write ups.
Thank you

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake lights , electrical , fuse block , turn signal

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.