Turn Signal With Brakes Make Hazards Come On - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Turn Signal With Brakes Make Hazards Come On

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 10-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #1
Dodds
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Turn Signal With Brakes Make Hazards Come On

Has anyone had this issue?

I recently got a 2000 xj, everything's been perfect aside from this little problem.

When I hit my brakes and turn signals together my 4 ways/hazards come on.
All lights work on there own and no other combination makes this problem.
The lights turn back off as soon as I turn my blinker off or let off the brake, whichever comes first.

I was thinking maybe my multiswitch?? But that shouldn't affect the brake should it?

I don't know where to start. Ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dodds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any trailer wiring ? Any issues with the steering column wiring harness ? Multifunction switch failure is somewhat common.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #3
Dodds
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Any trailer wiring ? Any issues with the steering column wiring harness ? Multifunction switch failure is somewhat common.
Thanks for the fast response
I was also thinking the trailer wiring, But I took it out and still does it. Noticing it's not all the time though. 1 outta 5 tries or so. (with or without trailer wiring)
No issues I can see with column or harness, I traced it as well as I could and it seems pretty solid.
Also checked every fuse, light and electrical component, everything else is golden.
I would just assume it's the mf switch, because as you said, I read it's a common issue but I can't imagine the brake lights would run through it?
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
00grandhero

i dont have an xj but my wj is a 00 and the tail lights have a circuit board in them and the stock bulbs made it get too hot and it melted the plastic clips holding each circuit in place so they would move and touch and cause all kinds of wierd combinations not sure what the xj tail ligh is like but i thought maybe it might help if that is the problem when you get new tail lights run led bulbs they cause the circuits to not get as hot because they pull less power
00grandhero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
sbrunner
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Check all your bulbs. I had a car once when you hit the brakes the left turn signal would come on because the left rear brake light was bad and it was shorting through it. Could be an easy fix.
sbrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00grandhero View Post
i don't have an XJ but my wj is a 00 and the tail lights have a circuit board in them.....
The XJ Cherokee does not have any tail light circuit boards. If the bulbs are ok, and the wires are ok, it is usually the steering column multi-function switch that has gone bad.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2012, 03:35 AM   #7
Dodds
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Again thanks for the responses!
Ya, I'll have to double check bulbs. As CJ7-Tim said, not board on the xj, just an easy quick release section, which, as the rest of the wires, seems mint.
After checking the bulbs I guess I'll have to switch out the multi-function switch and see what happens
I'll post how it goes. thanks again
Unread 10-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #8
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't see the relationship between brake and turn signals. They are separate bulbs. I'm thinking a bad chassis ground. To verify, wait until nightfall, turn off parking lamps and headlights. Then try your hazard/brake/turn signals. If the dash lights come on, you definitely have a chassis grounding issue.
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brake lights , electrical issue , hazard light , lights , turn signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.