*turn the key* nothing happens. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > *turn the key* nothing happens.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
JOMA352
1996 XJ Cherokee 

*turn the key* nothing happens.

This has been happening for months now at random times, usually occurring in bunches. when i go to start the jeep i'll turn the key to ON and everything will comes one electric wise (radio, dash, a/c, headlights, etc.) but when i turn to start NOTHING happens. no click no noise no nothing. i've replaced the battery, the battery cables/terminals, the starter, and the ignition key and STILL having this problem. the crazy part is usually if i just wait a few moments-few minutes it will start right up like nothings happened. only once or twice did it take longer then 10 minutes. ive also cleaned all my engine grounds that i can find.

any ideas at all of what it could be? im getting so fed up im about to sell the jeep and get a chevy which is crazy cause i love jeeps but i just cant deal with this anymore.

thanks,
joma.

(Work in Progress)
JOMA352 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've had the same problem for awhile. Three days ago I got stranded at the gas station because of it. You're not alone, but I believe I figured out the issue. If you have an automatic transmission, try rocking the jeep. Sometimes it doesn't go all the way into park and rocking it will bump it in. This has worked for me a number of times. Definitely clean up your grounds too. There are the ones at the base of the dipstick and there is one that goes from the battery to the block. There is also a braided steel cable going from the firewall to the block on the driver's side.

Anyway, try rocking it. If that doesn't do it, clean the rest of the ground really well.
aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

NSS Neautral Safety switch maybe,Have you tried starting it in neutral and do you have reverse lights?
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
RIjon
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Push the shifter all the way forward and I bet it starts. (Nss)

2008 Toyota Tundra RCSB Supercharged
1998 Cherokee Classic ..... work in progress
RIjon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As far as your engine grounds go there should be 3 attached to the dipstick,2 at your coil,one attached to the front passenger fender,and one attached to the back corner of the head to the firewall.
Unread 12-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
JOMA352
1996 XJ Cherokee 

shoot i knew there was something else to add. i have also replaced the NSS recently too. maybe the new ones gone bad already?
(Work in Progress)
Unread 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have reverse lights now?Many times they will not light up with a bad NSS.
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
JOMA352
1996 XJ Cherokee 

yeah i still have reverse lights
(Work in Progress)
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Do you have all the normal functions (except a running engine) when the key is in the "ON" position?
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
JOMA352
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
Do you have all the normal functions (except a running engine) when the key is in the "ON" position?
yeah everything works. lights radio a/c heat etc.
(Work in Progress)
Unread 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Try moving the selector out of park and then slamming it back in. there is a cable that connects to the key switch and may need adjustment. also try to start it in neutral

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
JOMA352
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
Try moving the selector out of park and then slamming it back in. there is a cable that connects to the key switch and may need adjustment. also try to start it in neutral
alright i will try that the next time it doesnt start. is there anywhere to buy a new green wire that goes to the starter? the one that comes from the fuse box?
(Work in Progress)
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Try starting it in neutral and drive. Also try moving the shifter very slightly when turning the key. My NSS needs adjusting or cleaning, but if I put it in neutral and barely push the shift lever forward while turning the key, it'll start right up.
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
JOMA352
1996 XJ Cherokee 

[update]

yesterday jeep wouldnt start again so i tried everything with the shifter and still nothing. i also checked and the reverse lights did work. i waited 5 minutes boom starts right up.
(Work in Progress)
Unread 12-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #15
BrewinXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I am going to follow this thread intensly...My 98 XJ started doing this exact same thing a couple of days ago. I had to leave it at a buddys house because it wouldnt start. I am going to try all of these tips in hopes that it will start so I can get it home and make sure all my grounds are good and clean...I also plan of playing with the NSS to see if I can find out the exact problem to avoid this issue in the future.

I hope to get some more greaat info in this thread!
BrewinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.