Tucked and Trimmed Winch Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Tucked and Trimmed Winch Build

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 01-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #1
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Tucked and Trimmed Winch Build

Tucked and Trimmed Winch Build

I've been working on a way to mount a Warn winch without it protruding off the front end like a wart. I also wanted to maintain a mostly stock appearance with the front bumper. After seeing a couple of bumper builds on this forum I decided to trim the front cross member and tuck my Warn M8000 winch back as far as possible without interfering with the Harmonic Balancer.

I trimmed the cross member:

and rails:

Wrapped both rails:

Added the Winch Plate. Fabbed and painted:

I also upgraded with a Dodge durango steering Box:

Mounted the fairlead roller:

Finished: Tucked and Trimmed

Top View:

Front view:

The relay box is under the passenger fender, just to the side of the winch. I also installed a cabin switch panel with an airplane safety switch and a rocker to play out or take in line. As well as a master power shut off for the winch near the battery.

I'm really happy with how it came out. I've improved my welding (and grinding) skills. I'm planning on attaching my front license plate to the roller assembly, but haven't worked it out yet. I'll be trimming up the bumper edge with door trim to clean it up.

Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
rfrizzsqrd
1990 XJ Cherokee 

That...is...AMAZING!!! All i gotta say is great work. Maybe you could PM me a writeup for that?? haha for the license plate you could possibly try those flexible tabs that can clip on the rollers?
rfrizzsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

sweet, nice job
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice clean job. Well done!

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice! Perhaps you could fab up a plate mount similar to the ones they sell that clip onto the roller fairlead.

Michael
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice Job!!

Why doesn't someone build something like that as a production unit. Hey Detours you paying attention?

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 06:47 PM   #7
mosh-n-roll
2009 JK Wrangler 

Awesome. I'm not a big fan of having the winch in the wide open on a winch plate like they pretty much always are. This looks sweet!

Sold - 98 4 door XJ, 4.0, AX15, 8.25 w/ Aussie, HP-D30 w/Aussie, 4" IRO lift, custom front bumper, 34x10.5 Super Swamper LTB's.
mosh-n-roll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, looking good. Yes, a Detours production unit would be a big seller I am sure.

Nice job.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

very nice
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
TaterTott
1991 XJ Cherokee 

nice work.. i like the reuse of the stock bumper..

"Tater2" - '91 2 door XJ. 4.0, AW4, NP231/Dana 300 Doubler, GM 60/70HD, 40" IROKs on H1s
TaterTott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #11
xjfan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice....

1999 XJ Sport, Black on Black, 4.0L

Follow build-up Cardomain XJfan Build Up
xjfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
94xjmike
1994 XJ Cherokee 

nice work looks great
94xjmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks All, I'm really satisfied with how it turned out. I appreciate the accolades.

I'm not sure this could be done on a production basis, based on the tight space and tolerances. There were a number of customizations that had to occur to make this fit. The final unit with the winch plate was a very tight fit and took a sledge to get on/off for final tweaks. A simple U-shaped winch plate would have sufficed. with much less trimming, but I tend to over-build everything. If Detours or others think it can be done than go for it, with my blessing!

Here is my Winch Master Power Switch. It's attached to the A/C bracket near the battery:

I also installed my switch panel, the middle safety switch turns the winch controls on/off, the rocker takes in/plays out line. The other safety switch powers my Methanol Injection, more on that later:

I have also clocked the winch to point the clutch knob at the bumper instead of straight up. I'll be punching a hole in the bumper so I can turn it with a screwdriver.
Unread 01-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #14
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Great job man. Now get some rope and a hawse fairlead so you don't have those huge rollers sticking out anymore. I hate how much my fairlead sticks out from the bumper.
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

@dcorn, I saw the hawse fairlead but wanted the roller type. You are correct, they take up less space but are not as effective in reducing wear on the winch line. I also wanted to stay with the cable vs. rope. Rope is affected by UV rays and can also be welded together if you have a long, hard pull. The worst that can happen to cable is it can kink.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.