Tube Door Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Tube Door Build

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 08-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Tube Door Build

I decided that I was going to build my own tube doors using my original design with a few extra's on it. I wanted them to be a full tube door that would have a door handle to open the door like a TJ, YJ, or CJ. I also wanted to make sure the latch for the was enclosed to protect it more and to place the latch in a postion that the doors would actually follow the lines of the body. I am in the process of making a removable mirror so you can legally drive with the tube doors on the rig. I want to make sure that they look right on the door and not just an I went down to Checker and bought what was on there shelf after thought. I also was thinking of make a spot for a door speaker as well but have not decided on that yet. I have made three sets of these doors, two for a 84-96 XJ and one for an 97-01 XJ. Here are some pictures of what I have done so far.

View the Cruzin Illusion Rig here:
View Cruzin Illusion's Rig
(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders / XJ-8 Grille (Round Headlight Grille) / THOR 4x4 Quarter Guard Install / XJ Custom Bumper with Swing Down TIre Carrier / Custom Width HP44 Build and Tech /Cruzin Illusions XJ Roll Cage Pics / Cruzin Illusion Tube Door Build
Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I finished up the build portion tonight and ready to clean them up, prime and paint them. Here are some of the final pictures. The set of doors I built for the 2001 XJ the owner did not want handles on his doors so they left as regular tube doors. I will still work on the mirrors and probably add the headlamp switch tab on mine. I made covers for the back portion of the door where the latches are. My brother didn't think it was necessary but I think it finishes it off.

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders / XJ-8 Grille (Round Headlight Grille) / THOR 4x4 Quarter Guard Install / XJ Custom Bumper with Swing Down TIre Carrier / Custom Width HP44 Build and Tech /Cruzin Illusions XJ Roll Cage Pics / Cruzin Illusion Tube Door Build
Unread 08-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Thought I would post some finished product pictures before I continued with my removable mirror build:

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
Unread 08-12-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Since we do not really remove the tube doors in the summer except when we wash the jeep. I decided that it would be safer when driving it to and from the trail and around town to have mirrors. The problem I wanted to avoid was having them on the doors when running trails. So I sat down a designed hopefully a good looking option for removable mirrors. They are fairly easy to remove and install. It only takes one nut to remove the mirrors. This was going to be one of my options if I ever decided to sell the tube doors to the public. As of right now I think that my doors would run in upper price range and it would take someone to want a really nice set of doors to sell them. The problem with my doors is the parts that are used are nicer parts and cost more money unlike the gate latch doors that are bought at Home Depot. I also was going to work on a door speaker option. Well here are the pictures of the removable mirror for my tube doors:

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
Unread 08-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
ChillinCherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Great Job! I love the color match. Great idea on the mirrors with those clamps. Those clamps are great. The way you did the handle is also very good. I built mine last summer and I'm not very happy with them. But now I have an idea of what to shoot for if I build another set.

ChillinCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #6
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillinCherokee View Post
Great Job! I love the color match. Great idea on the mirrors with those clamps. Those clamps are great. The way you did the handle is also very good. I built mine last summer and I'm not very happy with them. But now I have an idea of what to shoot for if I build another set.
The mirror does not get removed by the tube clamp, they are removed by the acorn nut at the bottom of the mirror. I have not decided if the doors ever became a production piece if I would have the mirror mount a blot on option or if I would just weld the mount piece to the door. I built them this way so it could be an option but the cost of the clamps are pretty high and would effect the overall cost. I did them this way because they are my doors and it always gives me the option to remove them if I decide to change the design of the door.

I think I will build the speaker enclosures at the end of the wheeling season.

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
Unread 08-12-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

all these threads on going doorless and making tube doors is making me wanna go doorless and make tube doors......even if it IS the middle of August
C4x4 Front Tow Hooks/Rear Hidden Hitch[/CENTER][/SIZE]
xjguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 11:19 PM   #8
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wow dude, those are super nice. Any idea how much you'd sell em for? I hate that warrior products doesn't make them for the 97+ XJ's, but yours are a great substitute.
Unread 08-12-2008, 11:22 PM   #9
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice! How much?

For ones with latch?
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
Twarlick
2000 WJ 

Nice work, really like those.

A+
Unread 08-12-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

PM's sent....

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
Unread 08-12-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
ChillinCherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

"The mirror does not get removed by the tube clamp, they are removed by the acorn nut at the bottom of the mirror." --Yeah, I saw the nut for the mirror. I personally would not mount speakers on the doors. I would keep them more offroad and easier to take on and off. But of course that your decision. Good Luck!
ChillinCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #13
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice work!

The mirror option is a good idea. I've found with my mirrors that I prefer to leave them on but just fold them in if its a tight trail.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 01:35 AM   #14
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'd like to know what It'd cost as well, basic front doors only.
srmitchell is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2008, 01:38 AM   #15
_Trucker
'Bigger Member'

1989 XJ Cherokee 

how much for a set for a 97+ 2 door with mirror clamps?

NAXJA member # 3388
_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.