A/T's on your XJ... what has the best endurance ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > A/T's on your XJ... what has the best endurance ?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
wsar10
2003 WJ 

A/T's on your XJ... what has the best endurance ?

The reason I went to an XJ dd from a ZJ dd is shear economics.
easier and cheaper to work on, cheaper to main. well you guys know the deal !

I run A/T's vs M/T's for the same reason, and i spend as much or more time onroad than off.

Whats the best A/T for mileage ??

In other words what A/T's will last the longest in your experience ?

Whats the most economical A/T (not to be confused with the cheapest) ?

-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have 10k on a set of Nokian Vatiivas ... Other than the outsides of the front wearing from the Jeep being out of alignment, they show no wear. They are pretty economical. Do GREAT in the snow, off road. Not a mud tire, though.

If I were to buy another set of A/Ts for my Cherokee, I'd definitely get them.
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The newest issue of fourwheeler magazine is centered around tires. I'd pick one up and read.

From personal experience, BFG's AT is pretty much the tried and true in my opinion. I have them on two of my vehicles. One set has like 30k miles on them and still have plenty left. Which is seriously impressive in my mind, considering that they are on my powerstroke excursion, which I use to tow my car trailer a few times a year on top of frequent city/highway driving and trips to the beach. I'm fairly sure that these come with a generous milage warranty.

Falken has a an AT that has been getting great reviews; the wildpeak. AT. It scored higher than BFG's AT in performance test on more than two terrain types. As far as wear life, I am not sure. I'm pretty certain that the falkens come with a milage warranty as well.

I know for a fact that the BFG will last. They have for me at least.

Discount tire sells a version of the wildpeak that is identical but has a different name. They're cheaper and as far as I know the same.

-Grimm
1992 YJ, 4.0 HO, 5-Speed (AX-15), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Sony sound system, w/ pioneer sound-bar, copper-red paint, Loved it. Miss it. Sold.|1999 XJ. The "Cheep". 4.5" RC lift. 33" BFG MT. Train Horns. 2wd to 4x4 build. DD. Sold.|2003 WJ. 30" Michelin AT's. Curt roof rack. Train Horns. Stock. Soon to be lifted. DD.
jgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #4
wsar10
2003 WJ 

my boss has 35" KM2's on his Toy. they have 20k on them and are half shot.....
I have no idea what air he runs in them.

I personally have Timberline A/T's on my XJ and I LOVE THEM roughly 15k on them and no wear at all, they grip nicely and have no noise until you get them down to 30psi or less.

My WJ, I just put Hankook Dyna-pro ATM's on it they ride nice with a little noise but I can't say how they do offroad (they are on our "family" jeep so offroad ability is a little less important)

I usually run 35psi onroad.

I will grab a copy today of 4wheel mag, thanks for the heads up !

Unread 03-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
semprafudge
1997 XJ Cherokee 

mickey thompson atz, ran them on my zj and they worked great! they are priced just a tad above average but totally worth it imo, as mentioned before the bfg is probably the most run a/t tire out there and would be a good option if you didnt know what to get.
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I run 32" BFG A/T's I have approx 35,000 and they still have plenty of tread. The vehicle is pretty light so any tire should last. They perform great on road and pretty well off road. The only issue I've ever had is that when I'm off road and there is some moisture they collect mud and loose traction. This can be corrected by lowering the tire pressure. When these wear out I'm planning on the BFG M/T's.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10
my boss has 35" KM2's on his Toy. they have 20k on them and are half shot.....
I have no idea what air he runs in them.

I personally have Timberline A/T's on my XJ and I LOVE THEM roughly 15k on them and no wear at all, they grip nicely and have no noise until you get them down to 30psi or less.

My WJ, I just put Hankook Dyna-pro ATM's on it they ride nice with a little noise but I can't say how they do offroad (they are on our "family" jeep so offroad ability is a little less important)

I usually run 35psi onroad.

I will grab a copy today of 4wheel mag, thanks for the heads up !
Hey man, anytime! Glad I could help!

And I double checked on that magazine (I just got home, and looked at it sittin on my desk)

It's the april 2012 issue of "fourwheeler"
Front page says "giant 4x4 tire guide"

Both the BFGs and the Falkens are in there along with like 31 other treads.

-Grimm
1992 YJ, 4.0 HO, 5-Speed (AX-15), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Sony sound system, w/ pioneer sound-bar, copper-red paint, Loved it. Miss it. Sold.|1999 XJ. The "Cheep". 4.5" RC lift. 33" BFG MT. Train Horns. 2wd to 4x4 build. DD. Sold.|2003 WJ. 30" Michelin AT's. Curt roof rack. Train Horns. Stock. Soon to be lifted. DD.
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-x
I run 32" BFG A/T's I have approx 35,000 and they still have plenty of tread. The vehicle is pretty light so any tire should last. They perform great on road and pretty well off road. The only issue I've ever had is that when I'm off road and there is some moisture they collect mud and loose traction. This can be corrected by lowering the tire pressure. When these wear out I'm planning on the BFG M/T's.
I have the BFG MTs on my XJ. I liked them when I first got em. Did really good at uwharrie honestly. I went everywhere my dad took his rubicon (he had lockers on) without a problem. And they are pretty quiet/well mannered on the street.

Thing is, I haven't had them on that long, and haven't put that many miles on em yet, and I can already see some wear. My alignment is good because I just just got it aligned. I guess they just wear faster than the BFG ATs do.

Anyhow. I'm going with the wildpeak ATs next time around. That is unless I snag a set of something different for cheap off of CL or from this hole in the wall used tire place down the road from me (I will buy a set with 3/4-1/2 tread in a second if they're cheap, lol).

-Grimm
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ive been using Hankooks for so many years ... I dunno how good other brands are these days ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsar10 View Post
Supposedly - they are designed for heavier vehicles than an XJ ... so they should wear well.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on them in future posts so I can compare against the set I fitted recently ... They already seem seem better than the last Hankook A/T pattern I had.

Remember too ... The longer lasting, highway and A/T tyres - usually have a harder compound rubber ... which normally equates to less grip on the road.
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
burtha95xj
2002 WJ 

Cooper discoverers last forever... but multimile wild county xtx's are amazing grips and cheap with a little more agressive tread and have no highway howl

forumrunner_20120308_171225.jpg
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carves View Post
Ive been using Hankooks for so many years ... I dunno how good other brands are these days ...

Supposedly - they are designed for heavier vehicles than an XJ ... so they should wear well.

Would be interesting to hear your thoughts on them in future posts so I can compare against the set I fitted recently ... They already seem seem better than the last Hankook A/T pattern I had.

Remember too ... The longer lasting, highway and A/T tyres - usually have a harder compound rubber ... which normally equates to less grip on the road.
We like them, the guy that introduced them to me said they were more geared toward heavier vehicle's..... which means thicker or heavier duty side wall's so they should hold up better when SHE bashes them into curbs
you can also tell in corners that there is minimum sidewall flex, they just feel sturdy !!

Unread 03-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Tonight was the first I've had the Dyna-pro's in the mud.........
They fair well offroad but I'm not impressed with them in the slop.
My Timberlines on the XJ are WAY better in sloppy conditions than the Hankook's, and that kinda surprises me because the Dyna-pro's look allot more aggressive than the Timberline's..........
I can say that they don't cake up with mud, they stay pretty clean both tires do actually.

Unread 03-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
dav5942

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Got 70,000 miles with BFG AT 31s on my XJ. Now have the 33s. Great ride, mileage and pretty much the standard for rock crawlin.
Unread 03-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm running General Grabber AT2's on my 2000 XJ. I've got a little over 2500 miles on them so far, and they have been excellent with anything the Jeep has encountered.

Will likely be putting a set of these on my '98 XJ as well, as it's needing new tires.

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Agent 000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
wsar10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carves View Post

I must issue an update on my Hankook's.......
I think they needed broke in ,
We had them on a trail this weekend and they were amazing, they gripped to the point that I only needed 4wd half the time !
I'm impressed thoroughly with there offroad ability as of this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.