Trying to find this Grille Guard - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Trying to find this Grille Guard

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #16
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I used to run a warrior..same as listed above except not brush guard! Its something like 1/8"..weighs slightly less than the factory bumper with tow hook brackets & tow hooks.

Uses the stock 3 mounting bolts! I added tie in plates on mine & I loved it..wasn't real heavy duty at all. I also sold it because I'm building a 3/16 & 1/4 inch bumper with a 1.5" .188 wall brush guard! That small bumper isn't enough protection & would be ruined in a small collision. So I decided some beef was in order to keep my rig & family safe!

DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #17
brdavis9
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhdrjones View Post
Basically This is what I am trying to achieve. If anyone can guess where this truck is from you get bonus points. I understand the stock bumper is not the strongest thing in the world so I may have to go with a bumper/grille guard combo if I cant find this.
Just keep your eyes peeled on CL for a Warn Trans4mer brush/grille guard. If you keep looking, you'll eventually find a "deal".

This is my XJ work-in-progress with my VERY recent just-last-week CL Trans4mer "find" ($100: score!), and it appears to be the one in the picture that you're wanting, too:

And here's a link to a factory pix of it:

I got it because I wanted a cheap, simple way to add a winch to the front (and it took about 10 months of searching: I'm a patient guy, and definitely have to work from a very thin budget). I simply couldn't afford a decent bumper, even on CL (yeah, I looked).

One thing to keep in mind about the Trans4mer's is that the parts are interchangable by Warn part number. For example, the winch carrier (which I don't have yet), is Warn part number 29394 ...that part is the same for almost all the 32 inch wide Trans4mer's. So if you're looking on Craigslist, and come across a super deal on CL on say a Chevy pickup version of the Trans4mer, you might want to pick it up for the swappable parts.

As far as looks go, I think none of the others I've seen for XJ's look as good. It uses substantial steel, and it beefed up the front frame probably about what the factory "hidden winch" would have (similar parts, similar engineering).

It's Warn. It ain't junk.

...as for the winch: I don't really wheel (mostly fishing, camping and FS roads), but for me the winch is cheap insurance in snow country.

HTH.

Oh. And about mounting the Trans4mer: if you get one, follow up about it. - There's a trick to aligning the mounting plates, that I can probably help out with to make the installation go a lot easier.

FOLLOWUP: You know, I finally enlarged the picture of the one the OP posted, and it seems to mount TO the middle of the bumper, and the [headlight] brush guards don't appear to extend to below the front turn signals. So it's not a Warn Trans4mer after all. My bad (should have been paying more attention to the details). That said, the Warn should be on your list if you can find one cheap enough, and you're going this route. Plus with the Warn you get the option of adding a very well-engineered winch mount (especially in the XJ's case) at some point, if you wish, too. Or a front hitch. The biggest downside (to almost any bolt-on brush guard) is the awful approach angle penalty of the design if you off-road a bunches (I don't so I don't much care about this, but I like the "insurance" a winch gives to my peace-of-mind). Well, hanging that weight out there is problematical too (I've pretty much decided to go with a set of ZJ coils to offset that, but still).

Last edited by brdavis9; 11-05-2012 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: I was wrong.
brdavis9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

"Strictly cosmetic"

And ugly as sin
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #19
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Except for the side bars, it looks like the Olympic 4x4 grill guard:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12101_110X_PG.htm

I kinda like this one, but I'd really like to find a push guard like the CHP uses

(and I posted before seeing the was a second page of replies )
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I have a similar looking front bumper manufactured by a fabricator in Lake Tahoe. It has pretty substantial sub-frame mounts.
I've remounted the winch and lights, so those wouldn't be included. It also needs a fresh coat of paint.
PM me if your interested, I'm in Pomona

Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #21
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

That bumper dont look square^
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

It leans back in alignment with the two main supports.

Here's another shot

Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
grill , grille guard , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.