True or false ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > True or false ?

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 12-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
pacreeker

True or false ?

If I have a cracked cylinder will there be coolant in my oil 100 percent of the time?

pacreeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do you mean cylinder head or the actual cylinder lining? If former, the answer is not always. It depends on the location of the crack.
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

I'm gonna say if the piston rings go above the crack, then yes there will be coolant in the oil 100% of the time.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
pacreeker

Sorry I'm not sure I know the difference? I'm a total novice. I'm having an issue with my jeep. Was told that i may have a cracked cylinder.

I've had my 01 xj in a couple garages in the north eastern pa area and I can't seem to get anyone to give me a good diagnosis....the jeep has a new radiator, new coil pack, and a new crank position sensor, new thermostat.
I Hooked up the code reader and I'm getting misfires in all cylinders. Sometimes it happens right away, some times I might drive 10 miles before it happens usually when I'm I'm going up hills or if driving on the highway and slow down due to traffic.
As if that weren't enough i also have a high pitched whistling noise when I let off of the gas pedal I don't know if the two are related or not?
Any one have any ideas? I've had a compression test done and the garage said everything looked normal.
Anyone have any idea? I'm at a loss.... Suggestions..cam sensor?
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
pacreeker

Also the jeep seems to run sluggish when all of this happens, when it goes into slug mode the car will not have any power over 3000 RPMs. Thanks for the help fellas ....
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
pacreeker

Could if be carbon build up on one or more of the valves?
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacreeker View Post
Was told that i may have a cracked cylinder.

I'm getting misfires in all cylinders. I've had a compression test done and the garage said everything looked normal.
First of all, don't believe everything somebody tells you. Are you sure they didn't say cracked cylinder HEAD. Being an '01 that is entirely possible.

But, if your compression test showed all good then the cause is not likely to be a cracked cylinder (or even a cracked head). I'm pretty sure it would be something electrical or fuel related.
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

On a 2000 or 01 Cherokee 4.0 you have a 0331 head which is known to crack and does so in between #3 and #4 cylinders.If you have unexplained coolant loss it is most allways caused due to a cracked head,and in some cases compression tests will still fall within spec.A leak down test or coolant system pressure test will provide better results.Have you looked at the bottom of the oil cap for sings of milky colored oil? Most of the time you will find that prior to seeeing signs of coolant in the oil pan.If you continue driving the vehicle the way it is and coolant gets to the bottom end of the engine it wiil not take long before the engine will go as well.I would highly suggest parking your Jeep untill it is repaired.If you find that you have a cracked head which I highly suspect the head should be replaced with either a new head from Clearwater Heads or a TUPY 0331 head from a 2003 or o4 Wrangler or GC Both the Tupy and clearwater heads have been beefed up in the area where they are known to crack.I myself have replaced many of the 0331 heads and most allways use the new Clearwater head.A google search of cracked 0331 heads will provide you with a lot of information.I myself have two 2000 models in my driveway waiting on engine replacement because of the cracked head problem where the PO did not quit driving them untill it was to late.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #9
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

So is it loosing coolant? Did I miss that?
Quote:
Also the jeep seems to run sluggish when all of this happens, when it goes into slug mode the car will not have any power over 3000 RPMs. Thanks for the help fellas ....
This sounds like my problem I had when the CKS/CPS wires began to fail in the loom.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...45/?highlight=
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #10
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
[snip]
I've had my 01 xj...
[snip]
Just a suggestion: Fill out your PROFILE, or offer up important info like this in your FIRST POST, so people won't have to guess.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.