TruckLite issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > TruckLite issue

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-12-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

TruckLite issue

So I had my headlights wired up with a home-brew harness with two relays and about a week ago the high beams started freaking out, and then nothing. I swapped a bunch of relays around, traced wiring...nothing fixed it.

I went back to the stock headlight connectors which I cleaned and got a little bit of corrosion out of. No the high beams come on and flicker, like a very fine flicker; almost like on the motorcycle.

Because the stock connector is what "flips" the relay to high beam I'm thinking thats the issue, so I dived into the fuses and such and nothing.....

Any ideas, it sound kind of like a high beam switch on the column but just want a few opinions and ideas. Thanks.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
VTEK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You can use a multi meter to watch for the fluctuations from the switch.
I use a home brew harness with 2 relays no issues. Maybe a ground not big enough or dirty.
Unread 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
chris87xj
Administrator

1987 XJ Cherokee 

XJ headlight switches are know to stuggle with carrying full amperage load of the lights. The purpose of the re-harnessing is to shift the load to relays fed directly from the battery thus bypassing the switch with the load. I'd pull a quick test wire from the battery positive terminal to the relay trigger to see if they come on properly. If they do, the relays aren't getting a good trigger signal from the switch. If they don't then you have homebrew harness issues. The dim lights and flickering you noted seems to indicate a bad connection.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
uberxj92
1992 XJ Cherokee 

As a side note I use gold plated connectors and I solder them. Its more cost but its worth it
Unread 07-17-2014, 04:16 AM   #5
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

After I took out the homebrew headlight harness and spruced everything up with a combination of dental tools, a wire brush, spray electrical contact cleaner, and dielectric grease.....it seems the high beams will still flicker but only when the Jeep is off. Low beams are fine. It's still a little perplexing considering I'm running a pretty large platinum battery and 4AWG cables for EVERYTHING related to the charging system. But it's all working.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 07-17-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When you say high beams flicker, what is fluctuating? The voltage of coil signal to the relay or the power from the battery under load.
Is it bright/dim or on/off?

There's not much to go wrong here. If the relays are hooked up properly only a very small amount of power is needed from the light switch. You should have a very strong connection to the contacts of the relay from the battery (via fuse).

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2014, 11:50 AM   #7
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Everything was good with the lights, I noticed when the Jeep is off when I switch on lights they are good, you switch to high beam you get a bright/dim flicker for a few and it's only for a few seconds.....then it just stops and the high beams stay on no problems....I think it was a combination of using the wiring harness and dirty connections. Since they are LED I went back to stock harness and have had no further issues.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.