Troubleshooting my 4WD Swap... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Troubleshooting my 4WD Swap...

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-08-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Swapped96XJ

Troubleshooting my 4WD Swap...

We just finished converting my 96 XJ (auto) to 4WD (also auto) but the swapped tranny won't shift. I will lay out all of the facts that I have with hopes that someone has a suggestion!

Original Vehicle: 96 2wd XJ auto - Built in March 96, so it's a very late model

Donor tranny and transfer case is from 93 auto.

-Shifts smoothly when TCU fuse is pulled and is shifted manually. Drove it home that way (100+ miles).
-Will not shift out of 1st when TCU is active.
-Replaced solenoids with known good from my original tranny.
-Replaced TPS sensor with new and also tested with another from a working vehicle.
-Checked fluid levels dozens of times. Drained and refilled it twice.
-Adjusted Kickdown cable dozens of times.
- Speedometer works. Reverse lights work, doesn't start when in gear (so I figured I've ruled out the NSS).

After the swap we were able to get it to shift in auto during ONE out of dozens of test drives where we were adjusting the kickdown cable, but it was before we switched out the solenoids. The truck was bogging terribly from a stop. Now it pulls like new from a stop but won't shift.

I pulled the speed sensor from my old tranny and will try swapping it in tomorrow...some say that it has nothing to do with shifting but others say otherwise so I figured it was worth a shot.

One thing that I've noticed today is that one of the connections under the engine bay doesn't seem to match up. There are three wires on the tranny side and four on the engine bay side (It's the rectangular connection, not the round one.) This makes me think that maybe my truck was built so late in the model year that it had a 97 transmission instead of a 96. If that is so, I've seen that you can splice the wires to make it work, but no one has been able to tell me which wires to splice.

Any input would be appreciated. I'll try to answer any questions as quickly as possible.

Swapped96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Swapped96XJ

Update: Speed sensor didn't change anything, although the one I swapped in was in much better condition.
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

did the transmission work when it came out of the donor or did the guy you say it from worked
crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #4
Swapped96XJ

Can't be 100% sure, but it should be fine mechanically since it shifts perfectly without the TCU and with known-good solenoids, I would imagine the problem would have to be outside of the tranny itself....some sort of compatibility issue, wiring, or sensor.

I'm still hoping that someone can comment on the mysterious three-wires-in four-wires-out connection under the hood. Right now that's the best lead that I've got but I'm not sure how I would splice wires to fix it.

It's really hard to see the wiring since the connections are kind of buried in the bay, but it looks like the connector has an extra black (or solid dark color of some kind) wire on the engine bay side versus the tranny side. I saw that the 97 NSS is supposed to have one more wire than a 93, so it seemed that it might be what's going on...and I read somewhere that a misreading NSS would keep the tranny from shifting.
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
lsmurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapped96XJ View Post
Can't be 100% sure, but it should be fine mechanically since it shifts perfectly without the TCU and with known-good solenoids, I would imagine the problem would have to be outside of the tranny itself....some sort of compatibility issue, wiring, or sensor.

I'm still hoping that someone can comment on the mysterious three-wires-in four-wires-out connection under the hood. Right now that's the best lead that I've got but I'm not sure how I would splice wires to fix it.

It's really hard to see the wiring since the connections are kind of buried in the bay, but it looks like the connector has an extra black (or solid dark color of some kind) wire on the engine bay side versus the tranny side. I saw that the 97 NSS is supposed to have one more wire than a 93, so it seemed that it might be what's going on...and I read somewhere that a misreading NSS would keep the tranny from shifting.
Yep
lsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4wd , cherokee , swap , tranny , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.