tricks for lower ball joint removal please... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > tricks for lower ball joint removal please...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGrobe View Post
What part are you having issues with? The large axle nut?
The goal is to remove the unit bearing with the axle shaft attached. I have the 3 unit bearing bolts out. A friend said to thread the front unit bearing bolt in a bit and then put a socket and a short extension on it. Then just turn the wheel to apply pressure to separate the unit bearing from the steering knuckle.

Once I get that out, the real fun begins.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I know a mechanic that jacks the axle up (with tires on), loosens the three bolts, then takes a pry-bar between the stub on the knuckle where the steering attaches and the wheel. That seems to always work for him.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #18
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGrobe View Post
I know a mechanic that jacks the axle up (with tires on), loosens the three bolts, then takes a pry-bar between the stub on the knuckle where the steering attaches and the wheel. That seems to always work for him.
The unit bearing is simple after a friend explained it. Take out the two rear bolts and loosen the front. Put a 13mm 12 point socket on the bolt with a 3" extension. Turn the wheel until the extension butts up to the sway bar end link bracket. Alittle more turning and it pops the unit bearing loose.

Unread 08-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Mind if I ask what caused that interesting... experience? What speed did it happen at, and did you burn the pair of pants you were wearing?
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Mind if I ask what caused that interesting... experience? What speed did it happen at, and did you burn the pair of pants you were wearing?
I think I had a loose lugnut and the tire rattled enough that they snapped. I had had a squeak for a day or two that went away when I applied the brakes. I assumed the brake pad was squeaking on the caliper.

I was coming off of an offramp on the highway and had to merge in. There was a guy going 45 and refusing to speed up or slow down to let me in. I hit the gas to pass him and as I passed him and I heard a bang.

I assumed I had blown a tire and didn't have anywhere to stop. Plus I was a block and a half from my parking lot at work, so I figured I'd change it there. When I got to the lot, I realized the tire was gone. I didn't find the tire, but I found 3 of the lug nuts. They were on the side of the road within 10 feet of each other.

The actual experience wasn't horrible. There was no real loss of control or steering. I think I nicked the brake hose because braking was less than stellar, but I'll check that after replacing the ball joint.

Unread 08-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

One more quick question. Does the 97 have the threaded preload adaptor that needs the special socket? I've seen a ton of video's and only one of them mentioned it.

Does it come out before you separate the knuckle, after you separate the knuckle, does it stay in the C, does 97 even have one? Most of the lower ball joints I have looked up online do not seem to have the adaptor. I'm hoping to get the ball joints swapped tonight and don't want to screw anything up.

Unread 08-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

A threaded preload adaptor is not used on your XJ.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.