tricks for lower ball joint removal please... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > tricks for lower ball joint removal please...

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 03-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
96yeepster

tricks for lower ball joint removal please...

as topic says this thing is a biatch....

96yeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
andrew2516

balljoint press
36" TSL's on RockCrawler rims

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
andrew2516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 06:03 PM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2516
balljoint press
agreed. Are you using one, and do you have the correct adapters?
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
Klutch

It's all about the tools, my friend. Without a ball joint press, you might as well be using your bare hands and nothing else.

Advance Auto and Checker Auto will "loan" you the ball joint press. The way it works is you buy it and when you bring it back, they refund your money. This isn't taking advantage of the return policy, or anything. It's supposed to work this way and it's yet another reason America is a great country.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
96yeepster

yeah I got a press.
I however cannot get it to sit square on the lower joint.
The upper was no problem.
I was wondering more if I should have left the top out then removed/installed bottom or the like.
Unread 03-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96yeepster
I was wondering more if I should have left the top out then removed/installed bottom or the like.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

It may just be the ball-joint kit I bought but I can't work on the lowers without removing the uppers.

You may be able to by a cup/sleeve combo that will remedy your problem but I'm not aware of one.

My ball-joint routine has always been to remove upper, remove lower, replace lower, replace upper. If you have access to a wider selection of sleeves and cups than I do maybe you can be more flexible. With my limited access to tools I'd pull the upper and start over. Hopefully someone has more productive advise.

Happy wrenching
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #7
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

When I did mine I bought a press from OTC with the appropriate Jeep adapters. Look on page 2 of this PDF for a usage diagram to make sure your pressing correctly.

http://www.grobe.us/Jeep/Tech/Drivet...JointPress.pdf
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
96yeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana xj
I think you hit the nail on the head.

It may just be the ball-joint kit I bought but I can't work on the lowers without removing the uppers.

You may be able to by a cup/sleeve combo that will remedy your problem but I'm not aware of one.

My ball-joint routine has always been to remove upper, remove lower, replace lower, replace upper. If you have access to a wider selection of sleeves and cups than I do maybe you can be more flexible. With my limited access to tools I'd pull the upper and start over. Hopefully someone has more productive advise.

Happy wrenching
thats what I get for trying to save time not waiting for wife.
And haynes for writing such a $hitty book... I swear half their replies to repairs is take to dealer...
Unread 03-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
XJH-007

I had to cut a section of pipe to fit the BJ. None of the pieces that came with the kit would fit well enough.

Also, tighen the press down good and tight, then give the knuckle a few good raps with a hammer, tighten it down again and repeat with hammer. Keep doing that till it POPS.

That will knock her loose without you haveing to put a 10 foot lever on the press, possibly damaging it....

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
96yeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJH-007
I had to cut a section of pipe to fit the BJ. None of the pieces that came with the kit would fit well enough.

Also, tighen the press down good and tight, then give the knuckle a few good raps with a hammer, tighten it down again and repeat with hammer. Keep doing that till it POPS.

That will knock her loose without you haveing to put a 10 foot lever on the press, possibly damaging it....

the press is a autozone rental so I am not concerned with damaging it.

But yeah leaving those uppers out did the trick. Got the drivers side finished (minus tie rod end) in about 30 minutes.
Did the pass side start to finish in about 1:45.
That time I also left that damned tie rod end hooked up.

Do it once and learn from it...
Unread 03-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
89xjsteveo
1989 XJ Cherokee 

hey i just replaced my balljoints yeasterday.
for the bottom one i heated the metal araound it till it was cherry red then i took a big *****$ hammer it after a few good hitts it popped right out.
89xjsteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Not to drag up an old thread, but I need some help. I snapped all of the lug studs and lost a wheel this morning. At first I thought it was just 5 studs and a rotor to fix it. But I noticed the bottom of the lower ball joint is ground down. I'm trying to figure out how to get it out. Also, what has to come out in order to remove it?

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #13
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yikes! That is definitely ground off! You still will have to separate the inner and outer knuckles. The outer knuckle is still pressed onto the ball joint stems. So remove any castellated nuts that may still exist (probably just the upper) and take a hammer to pop the knuckle down off the ball joint stems. Then using a ball joint press and remove the upper and lower ball joints.
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGrobe View Post
Yikes! That is definitely ground off! You still will have to separate the inner and outer knuckles. The outer knuckle is still pressed onto the ball joint stems. So remove any castellated nuts that may still exist (probably just the upper) and take a hammer to pop the knuckle down off the ball joint stems. Then using a ball joint press and remove the upper and lower ball joints.
That's what I'm planning on doing. I'm still fighting with the unit bearing to try to take the steering knuckle off.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

What part are you having issues with? The large axle nut?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.