Transmission Surges - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transmission Surges

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Transmission Surges

Ever since I bought the jeep, it's been having a strange, sporadic problem: If I'm cruising on the freeway at a constant speed and I lightly let off the gas to slow down, as soon as I reapply pressure on the gas pedal, the engine surges like it's in neutral. If I press it harder, it seems to jerk into gear and go back to normal.

This doesn't always happen, but it seems to be getting worse. Things that might have something to do with it: The tranny fluid appears to be WAY to high since I got it, but I haven't messed with it. Also, I need to clean up all the grounds, including wear the tranny is grounded. Anybody else had a similar problem?

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
matt2000xj

I have a similar problem but only at low speeds, i think my torque converter is slipping when it unlocks, also my tranny fluid is also over full, and i haven't touched it.
matt2000xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So you say fluid level is way too high and you don't want to mess with it and then wonder why the tranny behaves the way it does...
About about this clue: bring the fluid level to the correct level and see what happens...
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.