Transmission Solenoid/Sensor Questions on 98 Cherokee (XJ ?) 4.0L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transmission Solenoid/Sensor Questions on 98 Cherokee (XJ ?) 4.0L

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
j0n4h
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Transmission Solenoid/Sensor Questions on 98 Cherokee (XJ ?) 4.0L

Hello!

I hope this is in the right section, but anyway, been coming here for some info for a time now & finally decided to register. Good resource, so thanks in advance for responses.

Okay, so I have a 1998 Cherokee Classic (XJ?) with 147k. I bought it for pretty cheap, but that meant it had quite a few things that needed fixing. Most pressing is that the transmission is a little wonky, in that it doesn't like to shift up sometimes from 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd (this is just guesswork). If I rev it up a little and let off the gas, then hit the gas again, it's as if I can manually shift it up that way. Also, recently it's started to jump in RPMs a little while idling, from 750RPM to 1000/1100RPM.

The previous owner's mechanic told me I needed new Transmission Shift Solenoids. I hope that's the problem because I just bought a kit off of ebay. So my first question is, is this the compatible kit for my Jeep?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A340-AW4-TRA...3b9e4e&vxp=mtr

I've got the codes checked, they are:

P0715 - Input Speed Sensor (ISS) 1 Circuit
The ECM has detected that the input speed signal changed suddenly.
Probable Cause: Open or short circuit/Poor electrical connection/Faulty ISS

P0122 - Throttle Position Sensor
The throttle position signal is used for various systems in the vehicle.
Probable Cause: Sensor open or shorted/Check wiring

P0138 - H02S12 Circuit Condition (Heated oxygen sensor bank sensor 2)
The powertrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calc air/fuel ratio in the exhaust
Probable Cause: 02 Sensor defective/Fuel Systems running rich or lean/Engine misfire condition/Fuel pressure very high or low fuel pump or pressure regulator

P0751 - O/D Switch pressed low for 5 min
O/D Switch value has not changed for over 5 min
Probable Cause: O/D Switch shorted to ground/Failure/Electrical Problem

P0753 - 3-4 Shift Solenoid Relay Condition
ECM has detected an open or shorted condition on the relay circuit.
Probable Cause: Open or shorted relay/Electrical Problem

I also read here that this could be attributed to the Gov Pressure Sensor & Solenoid. So I decided it might be best to buy a kit that includes a new filter & gasket and go ahead and change it all at once, but where can I buy this? And is this the right kit for my Jeep? How do I know my transmission is the 42RE version?

Kit found on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-JEEP-4...87600a&vxp=mtr

Thanks again for reading and excuse my newbness!

j0n4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Always begin your troubles shooting and repairs with the lowest numbered Check Engine Light trouble code. Often, a failure that triggers a CEL trouble code will also cause faulty data input to, or erratic operation of, other sensors or systems, leading to additional false trouble codes being generated.

For example, the P0121 Throttle Position Sensor failure is probably causing the related transmission issues because TPS data is used by the transmission computer for shifting gears, and for engaging overdrive. The throttle position signal is used for various systems in the vehicle. Once the TPS issue is fixed, many or all of the other trouble codes should clear up.

Also, go here - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/tech-faq-links-tsbs-89273/ - and find the AW-4 Service and Diagnostics Manuals. Perform the transmission function tests and follow the diagnostic charts.

The Jeep AW-4 and the Toyota A340 are almost exactly alike and their parts will interchange. Any auto parts store or on-line auto parts seller will have the parts you may want.

Several of the codes note that a possible cause of the trouble codes may be a short or open circuit. You need to carefully inspect the engine wire harness and plus as well as the transmission wire harness and plugs for chafed/melted insulation, corrosion, broken wires, or other damage.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.