Transmission shifting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transmission shifting problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 07-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Transmission shifting problems

Have a 97 jeep cherokee sport with a 4.0 and a 4 speed automatic transmission. It recently stopped shifting from 1st to 2nd. It threw a check engine light and gave a code of P0700 (Transaxle control system fault) and P0758 (Shift solenoid circuit fault). The 0758 said specifically the TCM has detected voltage on the 2-3 shift solenoid during a period when the solenoid is not active. The transmission will shift just fine if shifted manually so I don't think its bands or anything out of adjustment.

I changed the 2-3 solenoid but it still doesn't shift well out of 1st to 2nd. Looking for some suggestions from folks who have troubleshot transmissions. Could it be the TCM? Is that a do it yourself change?

Please help!

Unread 07-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Go here - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...ks-tsbs-89273/ - , find the AW-4 Service and Diagnostics Manual and follow the testing procedures.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So the test and service manual doesn't help at all. I took the jeep to a mechanic (not a dealer) and he told me that the 2-3 solenoid was grounding to power (duh! hence p0758). What he could not explain was the probability of the short being in the wiring harness between the TCM and the solenoid or somewhere else.

So someone who can give me an educated guess where to start checking for the short would be appreciated. I plan to see what voltage is at the solenoid in the next couple days and then start tracing back to the TCM. If someone knows another reason why I should start somewhere else please let me know.

The Airbag light also comes on intermittently and he said the two were related. He said there were no codes with the airbag so he suspected a short there also.
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Update..The airbag light was due to a loose connection on the airbag control module. When they relocated it before I bought it they mounted it with the wiring harness pulled tight. I unhooked the harness to make sure it was clean and then hooked it back up with a little slack. No more light.

The transmission shifting problem is still present and intermittent. Haven't unhooked anything yet or checked with a voltmeter. Any suggestions how I can do this?
Unread 07-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well I traced the wiring harness and found no places where it was rubbing or was touching another power source. This is what I have deducted from reviewing the service manual and comparing the codes.

I get a P0758 code which is Shift Solenoid B elctrical. When researching further it says that voltage is being applied to the solenoid when it isn't suppose to be. The service manual shows that for first gear shift solenoid A is on and B is off. In second gear they are both on. This would explain why it seems like I have a very slow take off from stop because it is in second gear. I can shift manually with no problems so I know the transmission is sound mechanically.

I guess changing out the TCM is about all I can think of to do at this point. Unfortunately I will have to order one because none of the yards around me have one. Any other troubleshooting suggestions are extremely appreciated.
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I am admitting defeat. I have changed the TCM and still 12 volts to the solenoid. I segregated the wire and it does not have a current when it isnt hooked up to the TCM. I checked the TCM and it is supplying the volts. I have no further places to check. Next step, take it to the dealer and let them charge me by the hour to figure the electrical problem out. Disappointed to no end that I couldn't figure this problem out!!!
Unread 08-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Update..I did not take it to the dealer. After several fluid changes the jeep has now decided it will work correctly. I am posting this as I wait for the fluid to settle on yet another fluid change to see what say the experts?

What I request is any feedback on whether or not any of you have encountered what you thought was an electrical problem with the transmission and after simply changing the fluid and filter, it corrected itself? Please don't refer me to the service manual. I read that book from cover to cover while holding the multimeter and wiring harness. I know how an AW4 transmission works and what it is SUPPOSE to do. I consider anybody who has fixed their own problems on their jeep cherokee an expert in some way, shape, or form.

My plan is to change the fluid again today because it still has a dark brownish red color to it. This weekend after putting some more miles on it I will drop the pan and do a filter and fluid change. What I hope is that the transmission had a stuck valve or something that was telling the computer to send voltage to the B solenoid. Again, any knowledge is very much appreciated.
Unread 08-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbeebe View Post
Update..I did not take it to the dealer. After several fluid changes the jeep has now decided it will work correctly. I am posting this as I wait for the fluid to settle on yet another fluid change to see what say the experts?

What I request is any feedback on whether or not any of you have encountered what you thought was an electrical problem with the transmission and after simply changing the fluid and filter, it corrected itself? Please don't refer me to the service manual. I read that book from cover to cover while holding the multimeter and wiring harness. I know how an AW4 transmission works and what it is SUPPOSE to do. I consider anybody who has fixed their own problems on their jeep cherokee an expert in some way, shape, or form.

My plan is to change the fluid again today because it still has a dark brownish red color to it. This weekend after putting some more miles on it I will drop the pan and do a filter and fluid change. What I hope is that the transmission had a stuck valve or something that was telling the computer to send voltage to the B solenoid. Again, any knowledge is very much appreciated.
Dirty fluid can absolutely cause this code. Keep dropping the fluid in the pan and replacing the 3-4 quarts with Dex/Merc until it stays a nice red color.

See this link for more evidence of why this code can be caused by your fluid condition.

http://engine-codes.com/p0758.html
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #9
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the response. I was hoping it would be just that easy. I never read anywhere that the inputs from the ecm would cause the TCM to push voltage to the solenoid so it drives optimally. That would explain it. I plan to do one more drain and refill with a filter change. The color is getting closer to red but still has a dark color to it.
Unread 08-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtbeebe View Post
I plan to do one more drain and refill with a filter change. The color is getting closer to red but still has a dark color to it.
Don't limit it to one. Change fluid in the pan until fluid is RED.

Fluid is cheap. Transmissions are not.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Betcha!
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
cherokeesport95
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I'm having the same problem airbag light on and same code for the solenoid. only difference is mine will not shift manualy it just feels like its always missing second i have the solenoids im going to replace all three and i also have a new tcm and have replaced tps. mine is a 97 also. did changing your fluids regularly eliminate the problem for good?
cherokeesport95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The problem cleared up after changing the oil several times. I guess it was the old transmission fluid. It started working right after several changes. All it took was some good transmission fluid and it hasn't acted up at all.
Unread 12-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are you not happy as H>> you listened to TJ. After a while on this and other forums people should learn who to listen to.Just my 2 pennies
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
Rtbeebe
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah. Most definitely. Once I changed the solenoid and that didn't fix it, I was ready to try even the most obvious solutions. TJ hit it on the head.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.