Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transmission not shifting

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Tonyhenley 
#1 ·
I got a 97 cherokee with a 4.0 engine and automatic trans. When it gets to operating temp around 210 the trans stops shifting into 1st and 2nd. It also will not go all the way into overdrive. It shifts into overdrive but still is turning about 500 rpms more than it used to at 60 mph. It is causing my engine to overheat too. Any suggestions? I have changed the fluid and filter but did not fix the problem.

#3 ·
It sounds like you are going to need to rebuild the tranny or get a new one.My jeep did the same thing and I had to rebuild it and it costs $1,600.Good luck but have it checked out my seals in it were all melted they said if I drove it and it would cost even more.

#5 ·
thanks guys, Here's what Mr. transmission said. It is probably one of the transmission solenoids by the trans filter. I dont know much about transmissions, but I could change those solenoids without much trouble. I have one problem were can you buy them. I have checked all of the autoparts stores and they dont carry them. Any ideas? mr. trans charges $90 just drop the pan not counting parts. How much are those solenoids I wonder?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.