Transmission mount/ Crossmember question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Transmission mount/ Crossmember question

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
XJ_300

Transmission mount/ Crossmember question

Before anything, I want to say hello to everyone as a new member. I have recently bought my very first Jeep and I am very excited about all the experiences a head. I have been a car guy for as long as I remember but most of my car knowledge is from working on Japanese cars. I have recently traded one of my car for a beautiful 2 Door XJ and after a couple weeks of owning the Jeep, it was stolen from my business. However, the cops recovered the car before a lot of damage was done and now as a new project, I am trying to put the jeep back together.

First 5 pictures are the jeep before it went missing.

The engine and transmission was out when the cops found it. The harness was unplugged and the front end was off. I did some work to the motor and changed a few things. I figured to start with putting the engine and transmission together and dropping it in to the car. So half way through the process and after looking around for all the parts that they found with the car, I noticed that the transmission cross member is missing. The car has a lift so my first though is that the cross member was upgraded from the stock one. (btw I apologize if I don't call the parts by their correct name or spell something wrong. also as I mentioned, I am very new but very interested to learn so if I think of something incorrect, please give me the correct information.) Since the Jeep is lifted, there are two mounts (look like aftermarket mounts) bolted to the body of the car where normally the cross member usually bolts on.

Can someone please tell me what options do I have? also what's the best and most efficient way of getting it fixed.

Thanks

05.jpg   07.jpg   11.jpg   16.jpg   21.jpg  

Last edited by XJ_300; 11-11-2013 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: didn't see the pictures i have tried to upload
XJ_300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Of your crossmember is gone, you can pull one form just about any XJ with the same trans. 00 and 01 will require a different trans mount, which cost more. They swap back and forth.. my wife has a 95 crossmember on hers (I had 2 mounts for mine and she needed one.. add in spare parts... )

If you werent clear on the other coast I would say I could ship you mine for the cost of shipping and a tasty beverage. More cost effective for you to raid the junkyard.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
XJ_300

Hi Azzy,
I have checked a couple wrecking yards in the area and they have a few XJs same year as mine but I wasn't sure if I can just use a factory stock cross member once the jeep has been lifted. I'll take some pictures in the morning and will add to this thread. I also seen posts regarding the drop adjustment some Jeep owners do to the trasfercase. Is that something I also have to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Of your crossmember is gone, you can pull one form just about any XJ with the same trans. 00 and 01 will require a different trans mount, which cost more. They swap back and forth.. my wife has a 95 crossmember on hers (I had 2 mounts for mine and she needed one.. add in spare parts... )

If you werent clear on the other coast I would say I could ship you mine for the cost of shipping and a tasty beverage. More cost effective for you to raid the junkyard.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

People drop the transfer case about an inch to cure drive-line angle issues. The stock transfer case, while weak against rocks, is fine for the stock setup. Some long and medium arm setup run the crossmember as a mounting point for control arms.

With that height, it may have had a skid plate / crossmember / control arm bracket combo... photos under it would help confirm.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
XJ_300

I don't have pictures of before but I can definitely take some pictures of how it is now and post it tomorrow. Do I need to measure the lift size to decide if a drop is necessary for the transfer case?

Quote:
People drop the transfer case about an inch to cure drive-line angle issues. The stock transfer case, while weak against rocks, is fine for the stock setup. Some long and medium arm setup run the crossmember as a mounting point for control arms.

With that height, it may have had a skid plate / crossmember / control arm bracket combo... photos under it would help confirm.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_300 View Post
I don't have pictures of before but I can definitely take some pictures of how it is now and post it tomorrow. Do I need to measure the lift size to decide if a drop is necessary for the transfer case?
You need to measure your driveline angles. Some consider a drop to be a bandaid, some think they are just fine. Personally, I think a slip yoke eliminator is better, but thats getting a bit far ahead. IF yo did need / want a drop, it is a simple thing to make.

Hit up the FAQ and get to know that stuff a bit better. More people smarter than i have written about it again and again.
Unread 11-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
XJ_300

There is definitely so much to learn! But I ended up with a puzzle and not a project..

Quote:

You need to measure your driveline angles. Some consider a drop to be a bandaid, some think they are just fine. Personally, I think a slip yoke eliminator is better, but thats getting a bit far ahead. IF yo did need / want a drop, it is a simple thing to make.

Hit up the FAQ and get to know that stuff a bit better. More people smarter than i have written about it again and again.
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
XJ_300

Here is some pictures of what it looks like.
sam_4414.jpg   sam_4413.jpg   sam_4412.jpg   sam_4411.jpg  
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
XJ_300

Quote:

posted some pictures. check them out and tell me what you think
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Id say somebody was trying to do a custom long arm setup. You could custom make or even modify an original crossmember to work on there. Looks like they were gonna use those 4 bolt holes on the LCA mounts to bolt up the crossmember. A little fabrication work and you can make something work. Id figure out how much lift if actually on it. Might be too high to get away with a transfer case drop.
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If the lift isnt too tall and you make your own crossmember, you could build it to incorporate the drop instead of adding shims between the mount and crossmember.
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
XJ_300

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoteen101 View Post
Id say somebody was trying to do a custom long arm setup. You could custom make or even modify an original crossmember to work on there. Looks like they were gonna use those 4 bolt holes on the LCA mounts to bolt up the crossmember. A little fabrication work and you can make something work. Id figure out how much lift if actually on it. Might be too high to get away with a transfer case drop.
Do I need to add a drop to the original crossmember if my lift is more than certain amount? Can you also tell me where can I measure to find out how much lift has been added to the stock height of the car?
(any link or tips to measure would be helpful)

do you have any pictures of a custom crossmember made by you or anyone you know? I just want to get some ideas before starting fabrication.
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Im 99% sure that is a Clayton Offroad long arm kit. Those square arms are a good hint, and the brackets match theirs perfectly.
Call them up, I am sure you can get a replacement crossmember. Tell them your story you might get discount.

Kit with picture
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/113

Just the 3 piece xmember
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/174

You only need the middle piece, I bet you can get just that part for cheaper.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #14
XJ_300

The brackets looks similar and thanks for the links. I am going to contact them and see if they do sell the center piece by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
Im 99% sure that is a Clayton Offroad long arm kit. Those square arms are a good hint, and the brackets match theirs perfectly.
Call them up, I am sure you can get a replacement crossmember. Tell them your story you might get discount.

Kit with picture
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/113

Just the 3 piece xmember
http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/174

You only need the middle piece, I bet you can get just that part for cheaper.
Unread 11-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #15
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Yes.
Do not attempt to mount longarms to a factory cross member.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote here NOW in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
lift , transfer case , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.